petty ? about med student

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I was working the other day, at the desk- couldn't leave, and a med student came up and asked me to 'get the nurse b/c so-and-so pt. needs to go to the bathroom'. The whole unit was tremendously busy, nurses running! around, our two understaffed aides behind with call lights, ect. The nurse for this pt was behind --tremendously busy. I felt like telling him to do it himself...I saiid, 'ok', and gave him a wary look b/c of that thought. What do you all think? Can they help pts to bathroom?

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho.

Umm, i would think if he was seeing this patient, and has a general knowledge of the patients status, there is no "acceptable" reason they couldnt have helped the patient to the bathroom and then notified nursing that the patient was up to the bathroom. But,, med student... not their "JOB".

Specializes in orthopaedics.

the med student may have been doing what he was taught.(he is going to be a dr. he is above that, don't flame me for the comment.) but how hard is it to take 5 minuets to take a pt. to the bathroom. if it was his grandma would he have liked her to wait while someone went and got someone else to help said pt to go to the bathroom? in the time he went to get you he could have been done.:angryfire

Specializes in NICU/Neonatal transport.

Personally, I would say "I'll let the nurse know, but things are pretty crazy right now, if you could take the pt. to the bathroom, I know everyone would appreciate it."

I have seen doctors help pts to the bathroom, but I guess he's going to be one of those who can't be seen lowering himself to that level.

Specializes in ICU,ER.

I once worked with a doc that would put in a foley for you or give IM meds...if you were busy.

Nope, folks, it's not an urband legend.

Specializes in Peds.
I once worked with a doc that would put in a foley for you or give IM meds...if you were busy.

Nope, folks, it's not an urband legend.

Hi,

This is true :) Our E.R. doc was was a nice guy and helped us out as often as he could.

That said, I think Lil'Peanut's response was nice --- maybe the student didn't "realize" it yet, so how about giving hima suggestion? ;)

Thanks,

Matthew

Specializes in ER/Trauma.
Personally, I would say "I'll let the nurse know, but things are pretty crazy right now, if you could take the pt. to the bathroom, I know everyone would appreciate it."
Nice :)

maybe the student has not had any patient contact and was unsure how to help the pt himself and so went for help.

maybe the student has not had any patient contact and was unsure how to help the pt himself and so went for help.

I was thinking something similar. Hard to draw conclusions without being there, but I think there are a lot of possibilities other than just a student who felt he was too good to do it.

Specializes in Progressive Care.

Ya know, I think I agree that the med student probably shouldn't have helped the pt up because he probably didnt know about the pt's status. I know I wouldn't have been too happy if the med student got the pt up, not knowing any better and the pt fell or he didnt use proper body mechanics or whatever. Example, Had an intern the other day who told a tele patient with bouts of SVT admitted for syncopal episode that it was ok for her to get in the shower which is totally against policy for falls. I was none too happy. On a side note, I have an intern who's policy is if there's an IV to start, a foley, ng tube or anything, please callher because she wants to do it to learn. She also told me how lucky we were as nurses to receive hands on training in those skills because she said in med school they don't really teach them. I know that when she is a resident or an attending she will send her interns to the floor to learn. I think the med student was ok. I dont think he/she was trying to be above anyone- just new.

I have seen doctors help pts to the bathroom, but I guess he's going to be one of those who can't be seen lowering himself to that level.

Maybe it's something like, he needs "permission" to lower himself to that level. He's probably never thought that he could do it himself when the staff is busy. As someone said, he's been taught that it's not his job and maybe a little nicely put job training is in order. Tread with caution though, not knowing his personality he may not take to it kindly. I'm sure that some med students if they found out that they could take patients to the bathroom would be happy to do so if the staff was swamped.

IF, in fact, it is OK for the patient to get up, that is.

+ Add a Comment