Malpractice Insurance

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am starting as a new grad in the ED of a brand new hospital in CA. The hospital opens on November 7th. I have been reading about on some of these threads and am wondering if I need it, and if I do, how do I get it? I would think the hospital would provide that, but from what I am hearing on here they don't. Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Specializes in Home Health, Geriatrics.

Congrats on the new job. Always have your own . Usually there are ads in any of the nursing magazines. I am not going to give a preference of one over another. They all pretty much offer the same thing. Cover yourself because if there is ever a law suit against the hospital and you are named, I can guarantee you will be swinging in the breeze. They are looking out for themselves and you are an expendable commodity. Good luck.

Specializes in Trauma ICU,ER,ACLS/BLS instructor.

You r covered under the umbrella of the hospital in which u work. Most agree that have some personnel malpractice is a good idea. The odds of someone coming after u personnally and not involving the facility u work at is small,but not small enough that u should feel safe. It is relatively inexpensive even if u r advance practice.

I am starting as a new grad in the ED of a brand new hospital in CA. The hospital opens on November 7th. I have been reading about malpractice insurance on some of these threads and am wondering if I need it, and if I do, how do I get it? I would think the hospital would provide that, but from what I am hearing on here they don't. Any help would be appreciated...thanks.
I just entered your info (California and recent grad, full-time and max coverage) on NSO website... $45 for the first year--- new grad discount :)

https://www.nso.com/quick_quote2/index.php?

Specializes in ER, ICU, L&D, OR.

I dont believe in .

I do have a policy that guarantees that I have my own legal protection

Don't leave home without it.......

Get it. The hospital is out to protect the hospital, not you, and will toss you to the wolves in a heartbeat to save itself.

Specializes in LTC, office.

In this day and age I believe every nurse should have his or her own policy for protection. It's just the society we live in, unfortunately. It's a small price to pay for someone on your side if the unthinkable happens.

Specializes in Nursing Ed, Ob/GYN, AD, LTC, Rehab.

Get it! No one but your insurance will be your friend when the poo hits the fan!

http://www.nso.com

+ Add a Comment