Can I just take CLEP tests without enrolling in a program?

Nursing Students Online Learning

Published

Ok I am a bit confused. Can I take CLEP tests for the classes such as the prerequisite courses for the Associate program without enrolling in Excelsior first? Is so, do I need to use the College Network, or IStudySmart or one of those organizations to do this? The more I read the more confused I get, haha. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Brandon

heck yes! and the best part about it is you can get clep guides from either ebay, amazon or your public library.

i clepped sociology by checking out a clep guide and a sociology text from my local library. i got a perfect score on that one, 80. i got a 78 on psych. excelsior took both and accepted them as a's. and i took them a year before i enrolled in excelsior.

i wouldn't enroll in excelsior until you're ready to take nc3-8. that way, you might finish in under a year and save a continuing enrollment fee.

Specializes in rehab; med/surg; l&d; peds/home care.
Ok I am a bit confused. Can I take CLEP tests for the classes such as the prerequisite courses for the Associate program without enrolling in Excelsior first? Is so, do I need to use the College Network, or IStudySmart or one of those organizations to do this? The more I read the more confused I get, haha. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Brandon

no, you do not need to use College Network, Istudysmart, RUE, or chancellors. if you do want to use one, try buying one off of ebay first to see if it helps you. its much cheaper, and no contract to sign.

you don't need any publisher for any of the classes needed for excelsior. i did all my classes (including prereqs) on my own. i have not taken any clep exams. i used excelsior courses only.

clep exams can be taken at your local community college or university. try looking at this website: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

this gives you courses available, exam descriptions. if you do not know what courses you need, i would advise you to call excelsior themselves and ask for an application and packet be sent. also ask for the nursing school catalog from excelsior, it will outline what courses you need.

do you have any previous college credit, like english, a&p, psych, etc? you need to know what courses you need so you don't waste your time taking a course that won't lead you towards your degree.

if you have any other questions, feel free to pm me. i have completed ec's program and am waiting just for the cpne in october, then i will be done.

good luck!

another suggestion: find on yahoo the groups for ec students. if you want to know the names, you can pm me. :balloons:

Specializes in Psychiatric and Substance Abuse Nursing.

I CLEP 'ed Sociology and Human Development within 2 weeks of each other and passed them both. THE books to get for the CLEP tests are the REA books that you can get on Amazon. Take the practice exams in those REA books and study the rationales for the answers that you got wrong and you'll do fine and save yourself time and money by CLEPing and not having to take 16 weeks of hell by having to do the courses at a community college and do all the associated papers and not to mention the time lost from working where you would have to attend classes.

Specializes in Child/Adolescent Mental Health.

Brandon

I think clep is the best thing since sliced bread.;) I accumulated about 15 credits this way several years ago. As far as using one of the organizations you mention, I didn't use any for preparation at that time, however, I am getting ready to take the Humanities clep and feel I could use some review. PM me and I will send you the link to what I am using to prepare as I do not want to break TOS.:uhoh3:

Good Luck

Although, I am not enroll or planning to enroll at Excelsior college, I did passed Sociology and French. I saved alot of money!!!

Check Ebay or Amazon for the study guides. I am planning to take the religion Dantes in the Summer.

I am getting ready to apply at excelsior for my RN degree, Does anyone know if I can take a CLEP exam for Life Span Developmen? It looks as though that is a prereq that will be required of me? thanks tammy

I am getting ready to apply at excelsior for my RN degree, Does anyone know if I can take a CLEP exam for Life Span Developmen? It looks as though that is a prereq that will be required of me? thanks tammy

Yes, they'll accept the Human Growth and Development CLEP test as a substitute for Life Span. I know because I needed Lifespan and they took HG&D as a replacement for it. Call Excelsior for youself if you don't believe me, but they certainly do accept it instead of Lifespan.

I believe you,do you think the would accept Child development as a substitute? for Life Span :idea:

For the Excelsior Lifespan credit, they emphasize that the course/exam needs to cover the entire lifespan, not just childhood. At least that was the rule 1-2 years ago.

Brandon

Yes you sure can! I took CLEP and I am not in the Excelsior program. It is a great way to rack up college credit.

I also agree with the poster that mentioned getting the REA books. You can get them DIRT cheap on E-bay or half.com. Pair them with a used textbook or one from the library and the Human G&D, Sociology and Psych CLEP will be a breeze!

Call Excelsior's toll free line and ask them. That's your best bet since I'm not sure about the Child Development credit.

+ Add a Comment