1. the long work hours, you never get off on time, 12 hour shifts turn into 16s never happens to me. i've had a few 13-14 shifts however. it happens.
2. being harassedto come in on your days off and being made to feel guilty if u dont i get the occasional call, but my answering machine picks it up and i ignore it. i don't own any guilt.
3. working on holidays yep. i knew it was a 24-hour operation when i signed up for nursing.
4. no compassion, u walk around vomiting with a 103 temp and they wont let you go home, yet u are expected to be compassionate and come in extra, stay late, work under backbreaking conditions with too many critical patients
not my experience. the one and only time i got sick at work i was able to leave.
5. constant threats of being sued from patients and familiy believe it or not, i can't remember the last time i was threatened with a lawsuit. i've heard patients say they were suing their docs or the hospital, on occasion. but i certainly wouldn't say "constantly".
6. drama from coworkers doesn't happen to me. i live a drama free life at work.
7. people trying to write u up for stupi bsthe only person that can write me up is my charge nurse and my manager and this has never happened....ever.
8. anal retentive nurses you say this likes it's a bad thing.
9. night shift vs day shift drama again, not drama, but there's always been misunderstanding of what the other shift goes through.
10. vultures nope
11. no respect or appreciation from anyone i don't need it to validate my existance. i get a paycheck that pays my middle class life, that's enough.
12. anxiety, stress, depression many new grads experience this, but it should be acknowledged and dealt with.
13. being edgy and moody all the time
14. ruining your health due to lack of sleep, stress, mental issues, eating crap
15. being criticized for little things
16. back problems i have a strong healthy back after 15 years in med-surg. yes, i know i'm fortunate
17. catching illnesses like crazymost likely stress related. i was only sick once last year.
18. the 4 years of school i went through only to be a high tech babysitter because everyone thinks u are stupid and ur job is so easy surely not everyone feels this way. again, however, i don't need validation for my existance from anyone.
19. sucking up to rude people yep, gotta do this. i hate it.
20. people who think the hospital is a hotel and demand stupid bs i don't let it get to me and do the best i can to make them happy and comfortable.
21. calling mds for everything- they get irritatednot my problem if they get irritated.
22. feeling burnout a big problem in nursing. we gotta take care of ourselves.
23. shall i go on?
i wish i had known this when i was in school.