CNA 'tudes

Nurses Relations

Published

I work among two CNAs who are in their 40s/50s. According to them, they have been CNAs for 20+ years. I frequently hear them gossiping and talking down about certain nurses (especially new ADN grads). I've heard such comments along the lines of, "anyone can get a two year degree, I'm 20+ years older than her, I could do her job with one hand, etc." Basically, these two think that because they are older that they are wiser than some of us on the floor. I'm not a new grad, but I am a young nurse, younger than these two women. To me, their comments are insulting- but, nothing has ever been directed towards me/said to my face, so I try and ignore them. Has anyone ever experienced this before- older CNAs who think they know everything and are real ignorant about it? If so, have you done anything about it?

I have experienced this. I am 27 and tend to look very childish. I tend to avoid an authoritative stance when it comes to other staff members because, well, I do not have the looks nor the personality for it. When I encounter CNAs, techs and the like who doubt my abilities, I try not to let it get to me. I am not so experienced or educated to be beyond doubt, and I never will be! I approach them as a person who needs their help, and I demonstrate that more than willing to learn what they know. I even appeal to some older CNA's maternal instincts :inlove:. Kill 'em with kindness. Heck, let them harbor their beliefs as long as they do their job. Maybe they could do my job, but they are not. So why fight over a hypothetical?

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

Eh. Whatever. In all likelihood, they probably could run circles around new grad RNs. Just do your job and ignore their comments.

I've found that in people like that who have been in their role for many years, you need to earn their respect. I started last summer as a charge nurse in a supervisory role over two MAs who have been in their roles for 5+ years at that clinic. They were dubious of my knowledge and training at first, but over time they learned that yes, I actually do know what I'm doing and I am well trained as an RN. And it has evolved that they actually come to me with questions, concerns or problems. And they defer to my judgment.

So often it's a turf thing, and the newer nurse just needs to prove herself.

They probably are really good experienced CNAs. I would just do my job, let them do their job and let it go.

Specializes in CNA.

I am a young CNA and nursing student and definitely have experienced this. I also hear comments from many CNA's such as, "well we are the one's doing all the work" and " we spend the most time with the patient." Unfortunately I think this is common in healthcare with all the different careers. I'd just try and ignore it until they do anything wrong to you :-)

Specializes in Psych, LTC/SNF, Rehab, Corrections.

Yeah, some of my aides are older. I learn from them. They're the good ones. Maybe they think the nurse in question is an idiot. It's disruptive to morale but...this isn't a battle worth waging. If it's not directed towards you? Ignore.

Some people do need to stay in their lane, however. I've never had an aide tell "me" that they could do my job.

Honey, if you could...you would (be). That's like me calling myself a provider. I'm not. I'm a nurse.

Anyway, the aides that I work with talk pooh about the same 2 nurses, every shift. To my coworker and I, especially. It's hilarious but I just try to provide insight in the most neutral manner possible.

Specializes in Gerontology RN-BC and FNP MSN student.

I seen a cool sign today on a local community church..it said..Gossip is the Devils radio....don't be a DJ for him.

Maybe you could put that on a post it by the time clock.

Two separate issues here.

1.) The CNA's are working under the RN's license. They seem to have forgotten THAT key point. The RN is responsible for what they do.. or do not do.

2.) The CNA's lack of respect leads to LOUSY teamwork that is necessary to deliver optimal patient care .

If it 's so easy to get a 2 year degree, why have they not done so? I am sure an experienced CNA is much more adept at the hands on tasks. To belittle a new RN is UNACCEPTABLE.

Yes, I have come across this situation.. I wrote each and everyone up for insubordination. Management thanked me.. things changed.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

What is this "working under my license" nonsense? If I inappropriately delegate, of course I would be held liable. But if the CNA, who was given an appropriate task, and then kills the patient, that's not on me.

Gently remind them they may be able to preform certain registered nursing tasks, however the difference is that we went to school for 2 to 4 years in order to learn

1. What is the science (evidence-based rational) behind the task

2. is the task necessary or appropriate for this patient

3. are there alternatives

4. has the intervention been a success

5. if not, reevaluate your objectives, interventions, and goals and plan accordingly

Fortunately, you are are the trained professional and know why you do what you do, and why others do what they do. Even if they don't ;)

Specializes in Cardicac Neuro Telemetry.
If it 's so easy to get a 2 year degree, why have they not done so?

I have that same question too. It sounds to me like you have two women that don't like where they are in life and are bitter about it. Therefore, they act "superior" as if they are protecting their turf when really, they're just fooling themselves. They see themselves as inferior to RNs. Seeing a young RN is probably even more of a slap in the face to them.

Two separate issues here.

1.) The CNA's are working under the RN's license. They seem to have forgotten THAT key point. The RN is responsible for what they do.. or do not do.

The CNA is NOT "working under the RN's license." CNAs do not work "under nurses' licenses." CNAs are responsible for working under their own scope of practice. Accepting delegation from a licensed nurse does not constitute working under the nurse's license.

That said, the RN who delegates tasks to anLPN or CNA is responsible for knowing that the person to whom the task is delegated is qualified and able to do it, and the RN is responsible for following up to see that it was done as delegated. However, if it is not done or is done contrary to CNA scope of practice, it is on the CNA, not the RN.

+ Add a Comment