New Grad - Short Stay Unit?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Hello guys

Sorry I am unsure of where to post this question but I am a graduate nurse and I have the opportunity with a manager at a short-stay unit in a hospital. I am wondering if this would be a good unit to start out on and what it entails. Thank you.

Specializes in ED, med-surg, peri op.

Any more info? Is it like a day of surgery where people who had minor surgeries come back to the unit and get discharge that day? Or is it for people who maybe only need to stay 1 night? Or is it a mix? Like people coming in for medical producers and stay a couple of hours and some people having surgery and some people staying overnight?

I've worked in these short stay units and yes I think they are good for new grads. Pt are normally stable and routine. But you normally see a lot of different things. Will give you the chance to gain a lot of knowledge. And it's at a pace where you will not get overwhelmed. And should be support well. Every now and again you will pt that dertoriate and get unwell too. Bonus most people are independent so very little dirty work (ie cleaning up poo)

Specializes in Pedi.

When I worked in the hospital (children's hospital), there was a small short stay unit that was part of one of the medical units. It was kids who were expected to be hospitalized for 24 hours or less, I believe.

Hello,

I am a new grad RN recently passed my boards and I recently got hired for a Private Duty agency and to be honest I am super nervous because even though they will provide a day or two of orientation and shadowing I still feel like I am going to make a mistake which I know it happens to most nurses but I don't want to put anyone in danger and I want to protect my nursing license as well because it was a hard journey for me to receive it. I guess I am more nervous than anything. I have been researching about vents, trach care etc before orientation so I refresh my memory from clinicals. I am super nervous and would like some words of advice/tips on how to be on top of my game and protect the patients and of course my nursing license. If you are a new nurse or have been through something similar share your story or any tips that could be helpful in my situation. I appreciate any advice given and thank you in advanced. Happy holidays everyone!

+ Add a Comment