Profanity in the workplace

Nurses General Nursing

Updated:   Published

In the ER, F bombs are not uncommon. How much is too much?

Specializes in Hospice, home health, LTC.

I care. Just because you are older (and I am, too) does not give you license to say or do whatever you think you are entitled too. You still represent an honored profession. You are not entitled to trash it. Yes, our jobs are hard...that is no excuse for foul language.

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

It is one of my all time favorite words. I use it often although not directed at others or knowingly in ear shot of a patient. Cursing is like scrubs one of the few perks of being a nurse. :D

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Jules A said:
Cursing is like scrubs one of the few perks of being a nurse. :D

Actually, I rarely use profanity at work.

My coworkers are surprised when I do. An example happened last weekend: Just because one nurse working the floor didn't make rounds for an hour one night, now all nurses have to do another type of computer charting every two hours called "Frequent Rounding".

An LPN I was working with nonchalantly asked me where I was going as I left the nurses station.

"I'm going to do the Frequent ******* Rounding!", I said.

Sure, during an emergency or trauma heading south, we would make very cutting remarks, not for the faint of heart or tnin- skinned... but cursing and "F-bombs" were almost never part of it.... and never directed at a conscious, alert patient or family member... I got tired of hearing people say, 'I can't help it'... yes you can, you just rationalize it and give yourself permission to use it... it is a bad habit, no more...

Specializes in ER.
Davey Do said:
I think I'm in love.

With you.

You should write more often, you know.

You like it when I talk dirty? :yeah:

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Emergent said:
You like it when I talk dirty? :yeah:

ACT-SHOO-ALL-LEE, Emergent, I'm into lexaphanicism.

In other words, I like it when you use pretentious words or language as an obvious attempt to appear smart but really you're only being pompous.

And do it ostentatiously.

With the lights on.

Specializes in ED, psych.

I try not to use profanity while in the proximity of patients (the med room is a different story) but one did slip out the other night ...

I was at my per diem psych job, and we were "asked" (read: ordered) to make a single for an incoming patient at 11:55 at night. Required several room changes at this hour with several psychotic patients to make this happen. None of them were happy.

As I was moving one unhappy soul with my tech, I said to my tech "this is so unfair to these patients, it's just bull****." The patient overheard it. She was ramping up at the time, but when she heard me say that she began to calm down.

She later said she knew I was sincere when I said that. Go figure.

My big fat mouth saved me an IM.

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.
Nipper48 said:
I got tired of hearing people say, 'I can't help it'... yes you can, you just rationalize it and give yourself permission to use it... it is a bad habit, no more...

I agree and there are times when I feel my foul language is getting excessive but as you point out I usually decide I'm fine with it and carry on status quo. I probably won't change my ways but it does give me pause when I realize there are those who are truly offended by it because that is never my intent.

I work in a subacute rehab unit at a LTC and apparently our crew is known for our potty mouths.. were one of the busiest units in the building..

I worked in two hospitals within the same system. in the large, inner city hospital, I hardly ever heard profanity by the staff. But at the small, very upscale hospital the f bombs fly constantly by the staff. I don't care if they are behind closed doors, but lots of staff curse in patient areas, constantly. I can't believe there aren't complaints and that management doesn't care (surely they notice??)

While cursing can have its place in certain situations, and I am guilty of that as well, i think the constant swearing is unprofessional. I don't really care to hear it. If I was a patient and heard it, I would complain. I guess it's good that most patients are confused and hard of hearing, lol.

Specializes in PCCN.

I am not offended if I hear f -bombs, but I was actually quite surprised to hear as many f bombs as I did from my patient assignment corner.mind you, the minimum age of the offenders (pleural) was 80 + years old. And they were using it in the correct context also!we joked (amongst ourselves)that they were "sentence enhancers" as SpongeBob SquarePants would say ,lol

Specializes in NICU, RNC.

There is a reason I work night shift! Potty mouth RN, reporting for duty!

+ Add a Comment