Time to move on?

Nurses Professionalism

Published

Hi, all survived from first year as a nurse, what a challenging year it has been. I need some advice. My unit has a very high turn over rate. Our unit has been through two managers already. My first manager along with educator and a couple of other people in management have yelled at me in the middle of the hallway for a chest tube that fell out but was not mine. I have also been stomped at. My coworkers are also super clicky and have gone places and not asked if i wanted to go or go to starbucks all together and not ask if i want anything. I am moving to another unit where there is better support and more teamwork, but my current manger told the new manager i want to leave because i feel like an outcast. The hospital i currently work at is an hour away from my hometown. However, the hospital in my hometown has finally reached out to me for an interview in one of their icu. Is it ok to leave a hospital after a year and too soon to go to the icu after a year of med surg? Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

First off, The first year nursing is always hard! You should be proud of yourself for getting through it....

But,Ummm....let me get this straight...

1) you have been yelled and stomped at by managers?

2) co workers are clicky and don't Include you?

3) you commute 1 hour?

4) your unit has a high turnover rate?

There's so many red flags waving at you, Im surprised one hasnt poked your eye out yet !

Why the heck would you think twice about not Taking the offer?!

Go for it!!! Sounds like you have absolutely nothing to lose !!

Specializes in Stepdown . Telemetry.

Yes its ok to get the heck out! Hence the turnover! Started out in similar unit, finally left! Hindsight is 20 20!

I would make sure you have thought this through carefully. I get a little concerned when things like, "they didn't offer to get me Starbucks" or "they never invite me...." are on somone's list of workplace complaints. We are at work to take the best care of patients that we can...not to continue the jr high drama of who's in and who's out. Refuse to participate in that mindset and refuse to care. We don't control others - - but we can work on our own mental and emotional processing of what others do.

This isn't meant to be a lecture - it's meant to acknowledge that you won't be controlling any of this at a new place either so this is an opportunity for personal growth whether you leave or stay.

There's no reason not to interview at the place closer to home. Just be sure to evaluate carefully whatever it is they may be offering.

:up: Good luck!!

Specializes in Medical Surgical, Postpartum, Derm/Allergy, Hemonc.

Yes, it is ok to leave . Always do what is best for you .

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Not too soon to leave and not too soon for the ICU. Good luck at your interview!

My initial reaction is... yes, get out of there! The 1 hour drive, the turnover, and the culture sound horrible. Getting "stomped at" LOL :D

Moving to ICU after 1 year of Med-Surg experience won't be a problem. I would definitely at least interview with the hospital in your hometown and see what they have to offer!

If you do move to the hospital in your hometown, remember to think of it as a fresh start (thinking along the lines of what JKL33 said). Use all your experiences and learning over the past year to put your best foot forward, including getting off to a good start with your coworkers. If for some reason you don't end up taking that job, don't worry. Staying where you are would bring it's own set of challenges and opportunities too. Every day is a new day.

Good luck moving forward!

+ Add a Comment