Why do [some] nursing students fail?

Students General Students

Published

You are reading page 2 of Why do [some] nursing students fail?

Kallie3006, ADN

389 Posts

Specializes in Surgical, Home Infusions, HVU, PCU, Neuro.

When we had our skills check offs we had 2 chances, 1st on lab day and 2nd (If you failed 1st) was like the end of that week. We had some fail in my class because they didn't take the time to practice the skill. Some failed classes for various reasons, not effort put forth, unable to grasp the subject matter and content, test anxiety, unable to pick out the "need to know" vs "extra info that throws you off.

Your test questions are unlike any tests you've had before. Example- patient x wants a more natural way to get vitamin C. What food item would you recommend to pt x ?

A. Orange

B. Orange

C. Orange

Your test questions are unlike any tests you've had before. Example- patient x wants a more natural way to get vitamin C. What food item would you recommend to pt x ?

A. Orange

B. Orange

C. Orange

Don't scare him, that's an exaggeration.

I like to use real life examples to explain how these tests work.

So, you're trying to come online to come to these forums, but there's no internet connection. You check the modem and all the lights are off? What do you do first?

A. Check the cable wire going to the modem

B. Plug in the modem

C. Try to connect your computer to a different network

D. Restart your computer

So, all of these answers would fix an internet connection problem, but since all the lights, which includes the power light are off on the modem, the obvious answer is to plug it in.

It's not as hard as people make it seem, it's just analytical questions, seeing how the details of the question affect what the right answer should be.

aquakenn, CNA

86 Posts

Thank you. Also, since I will be taking an LPN course (only), which will be held 4 days a week (not including clinics), 4 hours per class, how much time would you estimate that I have to study on my own? I am dedicated, and the only life-event that I can foresee is my parents (who are in poor health and their 80's) passing away.

Can't really say how much you should study. You should study until you understand it. For some people, that means reading notes one-three times, others it means re-listening to lectures, others need to read the whole book and take notes. And those are only 3 variations. I've seen failures all the way to passing which each method so its really dependent on you. I just read my notes about 3 times, once with a friend because she is in the other class and the teacher likes to give us different information. I look at tables that are referenced quickly and that's it. Currently have an A-.

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

Unlike other disciplines, where you can ******** your way through and beg your teacher for mercy, nursing school requires a very high level of humility and dedication. You will not get points for brown nosing. You will not get points for confidence. You will be expected to self reflect often and find your flaws and weaknesses. Also, you must learn how to answer nclex style questions, which are unique.

JBMmom, MSN, NP

4 Articles; 2,537 Posts

Specializes in New Critical care NP, Critical care, Med-surg, LTC.
Unlike other disciplines, where you can ******** your way through and beg your teacher for mercy, nursing school requires a very high level of humility and dedication. You will not get points for brown nosing. You will not get points for confidence. You will be expected to self reflect often and find your flaws and weaknesses. Also, you must learn how to answer nclex style questions, which are unique.

There are many disciplines where your grades reflect only the work that is relevant to the course material, and does not allow room for extra points of brown nosing. I have been through more degrees and years of school than I care to count, and I've seen students succeed and fail for any number of reasons. I think the key is time management, organization and commitment. When I returned to nursing school as an adult, I was surprised at the number of students that made comments like "no one could do this much reading, it's ridiculous", and "it's not fair" was the refrain of the failing. Take responsibility for your learning, and you can be fine. I'm no genius, but I was able to finish my ADN program while working full-time, raising three young kids, and I still had time to do things like teach Sunday school and swim lessons, and have a life spending time with my family. It's all about approach, the students that told everyone how long they studied and how hard they worked were rarely as successful as the students that said nothing, just got it done. Good luck.

how much time would you estimate that I have to study on my own?

As long as it takes to know enough about it that you feel confident with it. For some people, that's a couple hours every night. For me, that's maybe 8 hours this entire semester split between 3 classes. We're all different. It all depends on you and how well you learn, and how confident you are in yourself.

Kiki1970

113 Posts

Specializes in Psychiatric, Aesthetics.

I had a woman who just barely pass and graduate ask me if alcoholism affects blood sugar and insulin levels. Wait, it gets better. I asked her well where do you think insulin is made?? She said the liver. Thank goodness she failed NCLEX. True story.

I had a woman who just barely pass and graduate ask me if alcoholism affects blood sugar and insulin levels. Wait, it gets better. I asked her well where do you think insulin is made?? She said the liver. Thank goodness she failed NCLEX. True story.

I have diabetes and alcohol does affect the insulin and sugar levels. During the night, the liver usually gives you glucose from the glycogen it saves, but when the person has had alcohol, the liver is busy breaking that down instead so I was advised to have a snack before bed to not allow my sugar to drop. So, while insulin is not made by the liver, it's not a stupid question. The more you know.

Kiki1970

113 Posts

Lol! NOT ME, SHE didn't know it! I'm pre diabetic and my sister is type 1 with somogyi effect too.

Kiki1970

113 Posts

I have diabetes and alcohol does affect the insulin and sugar levels. During the night, the liver usually gives you glucose from the glycogen it saves, but when the person has had alcohol, the liver is busy breaking that down instead so I was advised to have a snack before bed to not allow my sugar to drop. So, while insulin is not made by the liver, it's not a stupid question. The more you know.

Lol! NOT ME, SHE didn't know it! I'm pre diabetic and my sister is type 1 with somogyi effect too. Her not knowing where insulin is made is stupid. A nursing student should have learned that.

Canaan

14 Posts

Practice NCLEX question after NCLEX question after NCLEX question. Use a book like this to study for every exam: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0323358519/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

Pick out the content that is relative to what you are studying.

Great Book!! Highly recommend it as well.

+ Add a Comment