RN volunteering at the border?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Tele, OB, public health.

Disclaimer: Hateful rhetoric about how human beings asking for asylum deserved to be tear gassed will not be tolerated, nor will nonsense about their status. This is a post seeking information

I would really like to go down to the border for a few days to help out the people arriving from the south Is there ANY organized efforts to meet people and provide medical care?

I saw an article about some docs from UCLA medical center who crossed the border the other day, but beyond that nothing

Anyone??

Disclaimer: Hateful rhetoric about how human beings asking for asylum deserved to be tear gassed will not be tolerated, nor will nonsense about their status. This is a post seeking information

I would really like to go down to the border for a few days to help out the people arriving from the south Is there ANY organized efforts to meet people and provide medical care?

I saw an article about some docs from UCLA medical center who crossed the border the other day, but beyond that nothing

Anyone??

That sounds complicated for a bunch of reasons. Practicing in a foreign country usually requires a significant amount of planning ...and on the US side of the border, I imagine that people would be handled by the government's protocols and "people".

Maybe you would be interested in processing through an organization that responds to situations where there is need, like doctors without borders? They have a lot of information on their website about requirements and such. It doesn't look like a fast process, but it could be interesting.

That is so good of you to want to do that.

See if any nursing schools in the area have an outreach.

Or you could do it, I think, all by yourself. I guess you could go to Mexico (take your ID and passport, phone to call for help if you have any trouble getting back in to the US, supplies, etc.) and see if anyone needs medical/nursing help. Do not say you are a nurse. Just see if you come upon anyone in need.

Bless you.

Wonderful idea. No clue how to make it happen though. Please keep us updated.

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.

Find a school or medical organization that is going. Random strangers showing up to "help" are rarely welcomed.

Rotary, Lions, Freemasons all sponsor various medical missions. I personally have been involved in medical missions supported by Rotary.

I would very, VERY, highly recommend that you volunteer with a larger organization. Rotary worked with not just the U.S. staff but also the Mexican officials and medical staff. It is much more complicated and dangerous (liability and limb) than what many would think.

Most arrogantly go down to Mexico thinking that it is another 3rd world country but they have laws and standards just like the U.S. Sometimes they can be far more strict than U.S. laws and standards as well...

When we would go down to Juarez the local Rotary would work with the local hospitals and the local formal and informal political powers to ensure that we were not harassed or targeted. And yes, we have had to call in support on multiple occasions to get some official, police officer, or some other individual to back off of one of our team members.

Specializes in CVICU, MICU, Burn ICU.

I applaud your wanting and willingness to go help! I know there are several charitable organizations who are figuring out ways to help.

I know on FB there is a page called "Welcome." -- it gives lots of interesting updates related to what is going on at the border, but might also have links to other medical missionary type organizations who are doing work there.

Also there is this organization: Refugee Crisis | World Relief — World Relief

Someone mentioned Doctors Without Borders .... great suggestion!

You might have to connect with various organizations who can lead you to those who are employing volunteer nurses. I wish I had more to offer and I wish I could go with you!

I definitely encourage you to not do anything on your own, but connect with a solid organization.

My best to you!

Specializes in nurseline,med surg, PD.

The Red Cross organization?

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

It's nice of you to want to help, but I think you would need some sort of organization backing you up for both safety, and for licensing and insurance.

It is likely if you went alone you would just end up getting hurt, and to be honestly 90 percent of these people are young men and not women and children, as the media wishes us to think. Remember you will have little to no protection once you cross the border, and may even get arrested, or you may end up getting hurt by our border patrol if they do not except you there.

Annie

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).

Check with the Red Cross. I also believe there are some Christian Relief organizations at work on the border so that might be a place to start. I would make sure your personal liability and is paid up.

Good luck to you

Hppy

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager.

Red Cross doesn't use nurses as clinicians.

I just read that one of the Californian county health departments was serving the medical needs of the migrants. They said the most frequent reason for seeing a migrant was respiratory illness.I'm not sure if there are other non profit organizations serving.

+ Add a Comment