Situational Trauma

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

I know I couldn't handle it.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

Yep, worked retail at Christmas before, all I can say is YIKES!

I did retail for lots of years. This year it was a full moon!! People were crazy!

Specializes in ER.

Black Friday is a symptom of our decadent, materialist society.

Black Friday is a symptom of our decadent, materialist society.

I agree, Emergent. However, there are still things about this holiday which are pure and good which will forever live in our hearts.

For example, I played Disney Trivia with my sister Cat's grandkids. I had landed on a square where I could win a pie if I answered the question correctly. The question was: "What did Cinderella lose on her way from the ball?"

My answer? "Her virginity!"

I didn't get the pie.

But I did get a good rebuffing from my little sister!

Daisy4RN said:
LovingLife123 said:
I did retail for lots of years. This year it was a full moon!! People were crazy!

I've never been to a Black Friday Sales Event, but I tell you this:

If pandemonium broke out, I would know how to summon emergency assistance.

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I went to a Black Friday sales event once. ONCE. I hate crowds to begin with, and I hate early mornings even more, but I promised my sister I'd go, so I did. BIG mistake. Not only were people stampeding through the place like a bunch of wild horses, they were downright vicious. I was standing in the checkout line with a scarf I was planning to buy for my daughter, when a woman snatched it right out of my hand and made her way to another checkout line with it. I yelled, "But I saw it first!" Her response: "Well, I'm *buying* it first," and she disappeared into the crowd. Never again.

VivaLasViejas said:
I was standing in the checkout line with a scarf I was planning to buy for my daughter, when a woman snatched it right out of my hand and made her way to another checkout line with it. I yelled, "But I saw it first!" Her response: "Well, I'm *buying* it first," and she disappeared into the crowd.

What I'm afraid you witnessed, Marla, was not aberrant behavior due to being selfish and greedy, but a delusional disorder coupled with a pica problem.

You see, some individuals have delusions that certain articles of clothing contain nutrients necessary for their survival. This woman snatched the scarf out of your hand and ran away so she could quickly ingest it.

Yep. I've worked retail (Walmart and Dollar Tree) during the holidays before and it was horrible. You wouldn't believe how many people do their Christmas shopping at the Dollar Tree.

Specializes in Flight, ER, Transport, ICU/Critical Care.

The ONLY way I would have hit the mall on BLACK FRIDAY would have been at GUNPOINT.

Yep, I'd have had to have been a hostage. No longer into pain & torture.

Actually, not going at all.

:angel:

Specializes in Flight, ER, Transport, ICU/Critical Care.

FTR - I worked in retail in college. It was at Lazarus (what is now Macy's).

It was a grind.

I actually made more money comparatively in retail vs. as a firefighter/medic.

I think it really prepared me for to become a high paid "waitress" that can give drugs, warm blankets, turkey sammies, coffee your way, iced soft drinks and ever so often have to tell someone news so shattering that it will forever break their heart into pieces and, of course, save an occasional life.

Yeah, selling mass to high end accessories did that. $20 - $500+ handbags, sunglasses & scarves. It was the best if times and the worst of times. The customer was always right. Funny thing - the decisions were kinda low stakes and always resulted in apologies, smiles and refunds. Only one customer died, but I didn't have anything to do with it. She didn't collapse till she got to cosmetics. I just sold her a handbag. It wasn't THAT expensive.

:angel:

I went to Target on Thanksgiving evening for a few food items. Do people really need that many new tvs? What the heck.

+ Add a Comment