Mom takes forever to pickup

Specialties School

Published

When you're sending a sick kid home and mom is taking FOREVER to pick them up... Do you let them hangout in the Health Office or do you send them back to class. Whats the average wait time for you?

Specializes in School Nursing.

I've had parents show up in minutes and parent's claim , "I'm on my way" and not show up at all (kid suffering in my clinic literally hours and then parent picks up at regular dismissal time.)

It is frustrating to say the least.

The only time I send them back to class to wait is if it's not a communicable disease (no fevers, excessive vomiting, excessive diarrhea, flu, contagious rashes, etc. go back to class). If it's lice, they can go back to class. Pink eye, they get a patch and can wait for parent in class.

I feel terrible when they legitimately can't leave work and try to work with those parents. Unfortunately, it's more often the parent that doesn't work, that I have the most trouble getting in touch with.

There are so many parent's that think that during school hours, they have no responsibility for their children. I've had parents say flat out, "I'm not coming, it's your job to take care of them while they're in school".

I've had parents show up in minutes and parent's claim , "I'm on my way" and not show up at all (kid suffering in my clinic literally hours and then parent picks up at regular dismissal time.)

It is frustrating to say the least.

The only time I send them back to class to wait is if it's not a communicable disease (no fevers, excessive vomiting, excessive diarrhea, flu, contagious rashes, etc. go back to class). If it's lice, they can go back to class. Pink eye, they get a patch and can wait for parent in class.

I feel terrible when they legitimately can't leave work and try to work with those parents. Unfortunately, it's more often the parent that doesn't work, that I have the most trouble getting in touch with.

There are so many parent's that think that during school hours, they have no responsibility for their children. I've had parents say flat out, "I'm not coming, it's your job to take care of them while they're in school".

Thanks for the advise. In my school, parents take forever to call back and pick up.

If they are well enough to go back to class I would not be sending them home. If I assess they need to go home then they must wait in the health office and reduce the risk of others becoming ill. Be proactive and remind parents to have a back up plan and a back up plan for plan B.

Specializes in NICU, Infection Control.

I worked 12 hour shifts in NICU. I had to tell my charge nurse my son was ill, wait for someone to pick up my assignment, chart out, walk to the parking structure, drive 30 minutes to his school. If the stars were aligned, the soonest I could get to the school would be 1 hour. Usually, my baby sitter picked him up. If he was really sick, she would bring him to me---meet me in the ER.

Fortunately for us both, he didn't get sick that often.

I have parents that say "I'm on my way"...An hour later theres still not here

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Yes, because life happens. I mumble and mutter, but it's not the kid's fault.

What does your policy direct you to do? Febrile or actively vomiting kids stay in my clinic. A kid with a headache...perhaps that goes back. It depends entirely on the situation and there's no cookbooking that.

You could consider (since you know them and you see a pattern) asking those parents if they'd like the kid to return to class in the interim. Then you can document "parent directed student back to class until pick up" and call it good.

Yes, because life happens. I mumble and mutter, but it's not the kid's fault.

What does your policy direct you to do? Febrile or actively vomiting kids stay in my clinic. A kid with a headache...perhaps that goes back. It depends entirely on the situation and there's no cookbooking that.

You could consider (since you know them and you see a pattern) asking those parents if they'd like the kid to return to class in the interim. Then you can document "parent directed student back to class until pick up" and call it good.

I basically do the same. Fever, vomit, diarrhea, pink eye - we have a specific policy regarding these things - they stay in my office. All other issues just depend on the student and how they are feeling - most of the time parents are pretty honest with me about how long it will take them to get here, there are a few that take advantage and after they take advantage of your time you will know who they are - I just come out and ask those parents directly - "what time will you be here?" and tell them taking a reasonable amount of time to get here is ok but please don't make your child with 102 fever sit in my office and be miserable for 3+ hours.

Parents at my school usually take a minimum of 30 minutes to get here. Sometimes it takes an hour. We live in an area of high traffic and, recently, rampant construction. Many of the parents have to leave work or call around to find someone to pick the kid up. If the children aren't resting, I'll set the little ones up with coloring pages (I print a bunch off at once, usually from CDC or FDA--it's my office decor) and I'll encourage the older children to run to their locker for a book to read. This helps keep them busy and stop the "when's my mom getting here?" every 5 minutes. Only once or twice have I sent back to class. Usually those are an injury like a swollen wrist or an issue with braces and the parent says they'll be there in an hour to pick up and bring to the doctor.

" I'll set the little ones up with coloring pages (I print a bunch off at once, usually from CDC or FDA--it's my office decor) and I'll encourage the older children to run to their locker for a book to read."

I like this idea. I learn new things all the time over here. I love it!

Specializes in School Nursing.

Oh my goodness! This is my biggest pet peeve! Parents (who don't even work) take forever to pick up their kids. Sometimes, the child has a high fever, is vomiting, has diarrhea, etc and the child is absolutely miserable, and the parent takes several hours to pick them up. Sometimes I have a child who was incontinent (I'm always running low on extra clothes) and I call parents telling them I need clothes ASAP, and they still take FOREVER. I don't know what the answer is.....

Correction--I meant USDA (my plate, pictures of fruits/veggies/whole grains) the FDA doesn't have drug sheets to color haha.

+ Add a Comment