911 call

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.

I called 911 for a visitor today, not a kiddo. Am I the only one who gets so hopped up on adrenaline that you're jittery? My mind is focused but my body starts shaking like I've got the shivers. I hate that!

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Events like this drive home how "alone" a school nurse is and the tremendous, omnipresent, responsibility that goes along with putting bandaids on skinned knees. So yes, being the lone medical person on campus, the unpredictability, and variety of ages, stages, and conditions present at any given time on campus, these occurrences will get the adrenaline spewing! Thank God you were there!

Yes! It's like you get hyperfocused but your body doesn't want to sit still! Way to go! Hope that all is well!!

Specializes in School Nurse, past Med Surge.
Events like this drive home how "alone" a school nurse is

So true! And of course now I'm rehashing it & coming up with what I could have done differently. Not that I think I did anything wrong...but you know how you do that. :/

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
So true! And of course now I'm rehashing it & coming up with what I could have done differently. Not that I think I did anything wrong...but you know how you do that. :/

YES. I do that even when I don't call EMS tho...

Hoping that the weekend cleared out your adrenaline dump. We are about to have a few dozen seniors on campus and that delights me but in the back of my mind I know that I will be hypervigilant when they come.

Specializes in CPN.
I called 911 for a visitor today, not a kiddo. Am I the only one who gets so hopped up on adrenaline that you're jittery? My mind is focused but my body starts shaking like I've got the shivers. I hate that!

I got a big adrenaline dump with my kid in probable DKA. It wasn't even an emergent thing at that moment! I mean, I guess it could have turned into one, but still. I was so shaky I could barely administer the insulin. smh, lol. Hate it when that adrenaline happens during unnecessary times.

In my experience, whenever I have had to call 911 - there is no time after to decompress. There is usually a long line of kids waiting out the door for me which gives absolutely no time to transition back to mild tummy aches and non-existent injuries. I think we all need a few minutes to let our bodies and our minds come down from that rush. Truly, school nursing is the specialty that you can be ready ti uses the aed if needed one minute and combing gum out of hair the next (yep, real example there).

+ Add a Comment