RN tells my mom that I don't need to take pre-requisites to become a nurse

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Today my mom met with an Nurse on her job (my mom is a CNA ) she asked, about what I wanted to do and my mom told her I want to become an RN . She told my mom that I don't need to take prerequisites and that I am wasting my time doing them . And I should just head to nursing school. I don't believe this because nursing school judge you on how well you score on prerequisites. I would like to know from Nurses and Nursing students if this nurse is telling my mom the truth or if this is false .

My mom believes this nurse and is going on a rant that I am wasting time doing prerequisites and says I should just hurry up and go to a college.

Specializes in LTC.

I would assume you have looked into nursing programs in your area, and that you are taking the pre-reqs they require to get in.

Otherwise, I don't understand.

It might be helpful to know what is the definition of a pre-requisite. It basically means, "required beforehand".

Different colleges have different requirements ("pre-requisites") for entrance.

Call the admissions office of the college you are interested in, and see what they are.

I would assume you have looked into nursing programs in your area, and that you are taking the pre-reqs they require to get in.

Otherwise, I don't understand.

I have yes , but the nurse told my mom I'm doing it wrong and that I should just head to a 4 year nursing school without pre-reqs. I just started taking my pre-reqs.

It might be helpful to know what is the definition of a pre-requisite. It basically means, "required beforehand".

Different colleges have different requirements ("pre-requisites") for entrance.

Call the admissions office of the college you are interested in, and see what they are.

I am already in a college and I know what types they are to get into the nursing schools in my state. But the RN told my mom that I don't need to do that and I told my mom that all nursing schools require them . But she is telling me that I am wrong because that nurse told her that I don't need to take them . I just want to know if what the nurse is saying is true or false is all . I know what my nursing school requires I'm currently taking the classes .

Specializes in Med-Surg.
I am already in a college and I know what types they are to get into the nursing schools in my state. But the RN told my mom that I don't need to do that and I told my mom that all nursing schools require them . But she is telling me that I am wrong because that nurse told her that I don't need to take them . I just want to know if what the nurse is saying is true or false is all . I know what my nursing school requires I'm currently taking the classes .

There are 4 year BSN programs that will admit you without pre-reqs because you take them during the first two years of the program with the actual nursing classes not starting until the 3rd year. Most 2 year schools require some classes to be done before being admitted to the nursing program. So if your question is "do ALL schools require pre-reqs?" then the answer is no some don't. You know what your school requires so why care what the nurse or your mom thinks? Just keep doing what you need to do to get in.

There are 4 year BSN programs that will admit you without pre-reqs because you take them during the first two years of the program with the actual nursing classes not starting until the 3rd year. Most 2 year schools require some classes to be done before being admitted to the nursing program. So if your question is "do ALL schools require pre-reqs?" then the answer is no some don't. You know what your school requires so why care what the nurse or your mom thinks? Just keep doing what you need to do to get in.

I cared because my mom is trying to stare me into to these schools when I want to take my pre-reqs just to clarify .

Show your mom on your school's website where it shows the required prerequisites. Most schools spell it out. The RN she spoke with might be misinformed, or her information may be out of date (I suspect the latter).

Specializes in Peds/outpatient FP,derm,allergy/private duty.
I cared because my mom is trying to stare me into to these schools when I want to take my pre-reqs just to clarify .

I agree with shiftingtides in that showing your mom the correct information may be the best way to handle this. There are times even I find the array of choices in nursing education bewildering, and I've been hanging around allnurses and nursing students for years.

I have learned that those "somebody someplace told my (mom,spouse,brother,whoever) this or that is for sure absolutely true are almost never true. The more they insist it is true the more likely it is to be bunk.

Some of them probably mean well, as this nurse did who took the time to ask your mom about how you are doing.

Specializes in Psychiatry.

I think everyone did a good job explaining this. I will like to add that there are some schools (private schools, four years programs, technical colleges) that guarantee you admission into the program without prerequisites. However, when you get in, they don't put you into core nursing, you do have to take their (sometimes overpriced) prerequisites before you can start the nursing classes.

Some schools want you to take the prerequisites along with core nursing- this is overkill but I have seen schools that do this.

Either way, nursing programs these days want you to get those classes done.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

I think I know where this is coming from. I went to nursing school a LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGGGG time ago (late 1970s). At that time, there were no prerequisites required. You came into the program, took 19-20 credits per semester (which included the courses now considered prerequisites) and graduated.

What the nurse your mom works with needs to know is that times have changed.

It depends on the particular nursing program you want to get into.

It's possible that the nurse your mom talked to didn't have prerequisites for her school.

+ Add a Comment