Good area to relocate to?

Nurses New Nurse

Published

So I've posted my story a lot on here and it's probably not worth repeating.

I recently spoke with a nurse recruiter and she told me my chances at getting hired in my area (DFW) are extremely slim since I'm not a new grad & don't have a year of experience under my belt. Essentially I was told I need to leave home and seek out opportunities elsewhere.

Problem is, I have no idea where else to look.

I've considered doing agency nursing for a couple of months to reach the one year mark & hope something steady comes along - but I've never been that lucky of a person.

Anyone know of places in the US that are in a big need for nurses? I've heard a lot about Minneapolis/St. Paul. Any advice is welcome.

Recruiters are for people with marketable experience. Recruiters make money from a facility by finding a new employee that fills a need that the facility couldn't find on its own.

A nurse with 9 months' experience is not worth a recruiter's time. A facility can find someone with those qualifications quite easily.

You need to apply to LTC, rehab, home care, private duty, developmental disability group homes, clinics, prisons, blood banks, plasma centers, dialysis, and, yes, even hospitals. Keep on applying until you get a job. If you can't get hired even by the shady places that advertise on craigslist, then consider relocating.

Caveat, I have no idea what the job market is like in DFW, but the recruiter's opinion doesn't mean much unless you refuse to take a job outside of acute care. And even then, it may be possible, but it won't be through a recruiter.

Specializes in ICU.

Seems like a lot of places in Phoenix are hiring, the area is rapidly growing and there's a lot of residency programs out there.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

DFW still has opportunities, but you will need to get outside of the major metroplex area. Think Sherman, Temple, other rural community hospitals. Also consider LTACH, SNF, corrections, home health and other positions that are not acute care. The economy in DFW is actually exceptionally robust right now. It is unlikely you will find better elsewhere.

Specializes in Pedi.

I hear North Dakota is usually desperate for nurses.

That said, I agree with beekee. Recruiters exist to place people in jobs that employers have a hard time filling. These are not typically staff nurse positions.

I'm a new nurse in the Philadelphia area, and it's very competitive here. My classmates who got jobs really fast moved to Nashville (Vanderbilt UMC), Baltimore, and Hershey, PA (Penn State Hershey MC).

Specializes in Aesthetics, Med/Surg, Outpatient.

Baylor and Parkland

If you are still looking, Atlanta and suburbs around it.

+ Add a Comment