Terrified... need advice

Nurses Recovery

Published

Hi all. Hoping some can guide me in what to expect if they have been in similar situations. I am an RN in NY and about a month and a half ago I got drug tested at work for "reasonable suspicion" ..they were questioning me because I had a high number of wastes, administer meds more than colleagues, 2 pills were not wasted properly a while back and they said I administered earlier than I should. I explained myself that I always thought we can give meds up to a half hour early (apparently they changed the policy while I was on maternity leave), I am being worked up for MS and drop things frequently which is why I have a higher number of wastes and need to pull out more. I always waste the proper way with a witness with the exception of these 2 pills they mentioned. I was in charge that day, went to waste spit out pills and there was a code so I disposed them properly and told myself I'd get a witness in a few min and forgot. The ********* part is my drug test will come back positive I assume (NO ONE told me the results) bc I was getting a few things from my father for a few weeks for intractable headaches and muscle pains. I am so angry at myself bc i NEVER diverted and don't usually like to take any meds but the stress of work, MS, my sick dad, having a miscarriage, post partum depression and all of the above lead me to asking him for more medicine the 2 months prior. But the perfect storm of a possibl positive drug test with what they're accusing me of is leaving me petrified. I met with an attorney who speculates the board of discipline will eventually be contacting me. I am in fear everyday that I'm going to come home to a letter and this nightmare is going to continu. It's almost been 2 months and I haven't heard a thing. Has anyone been in a similar spot? How long did it take for the boards to reach out? What was your outcome. I am so worried they won't believe me bc it's my word against a dirty drug test. I haven't taken anything in months, got a new job in a school, went on antidepressants and am seeing a therapist. I pray they see I am doing the right thing and are easy on me ......

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

Thread moved to a forum for replies from those in similar situations.

Did you get fired? Or quit?

Either way... the BON considers any "true" positive test as a big deal. It almost doesn't really matter if you were diverting or not. They will consider you as an addict since you were taking meds without a prescription. Most states have an alternative to discipline program and I would definitely sign up for that if I were you. (If your drug test was positive). All of the states have a different program with different rules so I would consult with the lawyer as far as when to sign up (if your drug test was indeed positive). By the way, it could take many months or even a year or longer to hear back from the BON.

Basically, stop focusing on being innocent of diverting because they won't care as much as you think they will. A positive test is a positive test, whether you were getting the meds or drugs from your work or your dad they don't care asmuch as you think. I recommend you have the attitude that you are welcome to seeking help if you do have to have a hearing with them (but don't take my word on that... consult with the lawyer who knows your state laws and BON better than I would).

Again, all of these alternative programs are different depending on your state. Some you bypass the BON altogether and sign up for a separate program, some you report yourself to the actual BON, etc. The alternative to discipline programs all have requirements of random drug tests and meetings like AA or NA. The specific requirements are all different. There is a cost to being in these programs, some states are very costly and others are not.

I actually intended on going into the programs they offered more for the fact that it would wipe any possible discipline on my liscence but when I called these agencies and told them my story they said I wasn't really a candidate for the programs as I was not a legit addict. I only took a few things for a few weeks and stopped immediately with no negative effects. I am not justifying my actions at all but once I realized I wasn't a candidate and was humiliated at my job, I decided to resign and work else where. I'm hoping that my MD can drug test me here and there, prove my post partum depression and therapy sessions to show it was just a mistake at a moment and lesson learned and I'm doing all the steps to Help myself mentally and move forward. I just don't know if they will even care to hear that. I hate the unknown and not knowing what to expect. It's killing me

Specializes in Surgical, Home Infusions, HVU, PCU, Neuro.

"went to waste spit out pills and there was a code so I disposed them properly and told myself I'd get a witness in a few min and forgot. "

Im confused, was the pills in your mouth and you spit them out?

"drug test will come back positive I assume (NO ONE told me the results)" "It's almost been 2 months and I haven't heard a thing" "I wasn't a candidate and was humiliated at my job, I decided to resign and work else where."

You was never informed the test was positive? Did not get terminated for having a positive drug test but instead resigned bc of humiliation? This doesn't make sense to me. If you was in fact positive, you would have more than likely been terminated, you would have also had HR inform you of the positive test, and given information on violation of policy (I'm assuming, they may do things differently, but it does not make sense they would keep you, not disclose the results as positive)

"i NEVER diverted and don't usually like to take any meds but the stress of work, MS, my sick dad, having a miscarriage, post partum depression and all of the above lead me to asking him for more medicine the 2 months prior."

The BON does not care about this, and you stating you asked for more medication the previous 2 months does not look good at all. This just shows the situation was not an isolated event, and in fact has been an ongoing ordeal. You take meds that were not prescribed to you, for an unknown period of time. You even stated you was going to ask your MD to do drug testing on you. If you had a MD why on earth would you take medication that wasn't yours?

If you was turned into the BON, get a lawyer, maybe they can make sense of the circumstances surround this. If you didn't get turned in, learn from this and quit taking RXs that are not yours.

Is this a real post?..... so confused

Sorry about the confusion. There is a lot more to everything but I tried to sum it up the best I could. No of course the pills were not in my mouth, a pt was nauseas and dry heaving and spit out pills .. those were the ones I was talking about I tried to waste. When I was called down to HR regarding this instance I was blindsided. I went into work (worked the day prior with NO idea of anything going on) and my nurse manager took me away to HR in front of all of my coworkers and ppl have been asking me so many questions. I've worked there for 10 years and am big on pride and respect and felt like I lost that there. Once I was told the only way I can remain an employee there would be to voluntarily surrender my liscence and enroll in a professional assistance program, I resigned as I was miserable at my job lately as is (I would be in charge with 7 pts myself) and decided to try to move forward. I admitted to what may show up on the test from what I had the few days before ...so I don't know if they never called me with results bc it was what was known to come up? Or was it actually negative.. I have NO idea. Once again I am not justifying my actions as far as trying medication from family. But in NY the rules are VERY strict as far as trying to obtain prescriptions. They'll just defer you from doctor to doctor bc no one wants to be involved in prescribing opiates unless it's ABSOLUTELY clear you need them like a broken bone or herniated discs. That is all. Needless to say there's no turning back for me now. Just was wondering if anyone has had to deal with the boards for a similar situation. I don't know what to expect. How long it may take, does it always turn into a hearing? I'm just scared

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

I think you need a lawyer who can deal with the specifics of NY state. I would also tell you not to discuss this any further without talking with a lawyer. Best of luck.

Get a lawyer, quit talking, admit nothing, ask that your lawyer request the results of the drug test.

Maybe erase the posts. Sorry but not the sort of thing I would put online.

+ Add a Comment