OB class makes me depressed...

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I am currently in my OB/Peds semester of my ADN program. This is already a hard semester for everybody, but I have found that OB is particularly hard on me emotionally.

I am a transgender woman (MTF) and so am practically infertile. I will most likely never carry a child, and by now the chances are low that I could even produce enough sperm to conceive a child for someone else to carry. I have known for a long time that my best option for ever being a parent was adoption, and I thought I had (mostly) accepted that.

However, in the last couple of weeks in particular, I have been thinking more and more about the parts of parenthood and childbirth I'll never get to experience... Our lecture on breastfeeding today in particular really got to me. I know there's some research now on induced breastfeeding, but it seems so improbable that I would ever even get the opportunity.

I know there may not be a ton of other trans nurses on here, but has anybody else felt similarly going through OB class due to other infertility issues? I feel very alone right now and I feel uncomfortable talking to any of my friends from school about this.

I think what might help you is to keep talking about your feelings if not to us then to another forum, friends, family and/or professional.

I just know we are all very unique in our bodies and what dreams we have for ourselves. Not one of us is superior or inferior to another based on what children we can or can't carry or whether we want to adopt 30 kids or have a natural birth.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

One last staff note:

BE KIND!!!!!!!!

I am infertile. I was in the process of learning that I most likely would never have kids while I was in my OB class. I had to sit in the back of class and hope no one saw tears come to my eyes at times. I don't have advice, just wanted to say you are not alone. I'm so sorry for how you are feeling. Hugs

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.

OB was emotional for me also. I gave birth to 4 children and had some positive and some very negative experiences. I hemorrhaged with my last child and was in a very abusive relationship at the time. I found that I relived that experience and had to process a lot of emotion.

I think school is a time of growth and development no matter how old you are or what else you are going through. I went to the health center and started weekly counseling. It was great for me.

Best wishes to you. I don't know what the answer is, but I know you will get everything figured out in your own time.

Specializes in Midwife, OBGYN.

I can't exactly relate to what you are feeling but as a guy going through a program that will ultimately make me a midwife, I know already that I won't have any biological children of my own. I am getting older and while I know that men can have children well into old age I know that I will instead channel my love for children and mothers into the a patients and babies that I will one day catch. Granted this is not the same as having one of your own but through my specialty I can still satisfy my nuturing and maternal side so to speak. I hope you do feel better and that you will be able to enjoy some part of your OB class.

+ Add a Comment