Injured doing compressions?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I'm in a new grad residency program in SICU...a job that I absolutely love. Second week on the floor, patient coded. We had to do CPR for 30 minutes and I was doing compressions for a good portion of that time. I'm short and the stool didn't arrive until I had been at it for a while; this guy was big. At any rate, about two days later, my upper back between my shoulder blades really started to hurt. Treated w/ibuprofen and rolling on the foam roller and seemed to improve. Now, late last week, my class was doing code drill and I did compressions again. Injury came right back. Fortunately, I was able to see chiropractor the following day but it's not improving much. I'm getting no sleep because the pain and tightness wake me up in the middle of the night. My questions:

1. Should I mention this to the nurse manager? I don't want to appear difficult, but I feel like she should be aware of this since it was an on-the-job injury.

2. I'm terrified of another code. I know that this is an occupational hazard and I've been researching proper technique for giving compressions. Should I just try to find a different role during code for the next few months until it heals (and hopefully it will.)

I know it's ridiculous to think I can work in an ICU (or any floor for that matter) if I can't do compressions. Does this mean my career is over before it even started? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

High quality compressions are critical and there has been great focus on this very thing to the point that places should have moved away from people doing long stints of compressions and having to self-declare that they want to switch. Compressions aren't a fitness contest or any kind of contest where you only "cry uncle" after you are completely spent. There should always be a person on-deck and there's no reason for the scribe not to remind when 2 minutes is up.

Someone should also be watching the compressions and/or the feedback information (if your pads give feedback) to monitor for quality and fatigue.

One person continuously doing compressions for a good portion of a 30-minute code is a huge system failure.

If these things aren't happening ^ - here's your chance to support/encourage change. :)

Glad you're feeling better!

Specializes in NICU.

Please go to the doctor, do you really want to deal with workman's comp?

Once you tell the doc you got it at work insurance will refuse to pay and you have to apply to workman's compensation and W_A_I_T for approval and then see their docs too, then you go to court and present your case, and so on .

Go to the doc get a sick note, thats it.

Specializes in NICU.

Part 2.

make sure you ambu or run the code dont do the compressions for awhile or switch to NICU where we compress with two fingers or two thumbs.

meanmaryjean said:
In a code- no one is thinking "Gosh, I bet dbabz is getting tired". Everyone is focused on the patient and the situation and you must advocate for yourself. Truthfully, the quality of compressions is so critical to outcomes that if you are tiring or feel you are not doing a good job- you SHOULD ask for relief for the sake of the patient.

Wrong. You work environment is crap if that is the case. In the many 'code blues' I've been a part of we are always looking out for each other and making sure the person doing CPR is not getting tired.

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

Fantastic news.

Now may be the time to work on core / upper body strength. But next time there is CPR also speak up for yourself.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.
malestunurse said:
Wrong. You work environment is crap if that is the case. In the many 'code blues' I've been a part of we are always looking out for each other and making sure the person doing CPR is not getting tired.

I agree, as the team leader in a code situation you are responsible for making sure your compressors are not getting to tired and are switching out.

Annie

Specializes in ICU, CVICU, E.R..

Sounds like you have muscle strain endured during the code. When you are improperly positioned to perform high quality CPR you tend to use other muscles to compensate. Most places I worked at strictly adhere to the 2 min switching of those assigned to do CPR. Usually it's the ER doctor leading the team, the other place I worked at the recorder gives a 30 second "reminder" to get ready to switch out CPR performers.

+ Add a Comment