In the ICU, do you get a tech?

Specialties Critical

Published

1. Do you have a tech staffed in your ICU?

25 members have participated

I have only had one RN job and currently work in the ICU. We do total care on our patients and do not have a tech. I actually like it because I am actively aware of I/Os, vitals, when my pt was last turned, etc. We have a lift team on staff for the whole hospital we can call to help with bathing and turning. I am applying for jobs now, as my husband is relocating for work and I noticed one of the ICUs I applied at staffs CNAs. What is your experience with this? Other than helping with turns, what do they do? Do you have more than 2 patients if you get a tech?? What situation do you prefer? Tech or no tech?

wish we did. it would help seeing as we we are almost always tripled.

Specializes in burn ICU, SICU, ER, Trauma Rapid Response.
wish we did. it would help seeing as we we are almost always tripled.

I'm disappointed that RNs would agree to work in such unsafe staffing ratios.

Those who do are enabling the facility and risking the safety of thier patients.

I'm disappointed that RNs would agree to work in such unsafe staffing ratios.

Those who do are enabling the facility and risking the safety of thier patients.

It sucks working in unsafe conditions but depending on where you stay that's all that's available. And when you have bills to pay and kids to take care of you know it's hard to turn the job down. Many places you go it's all about them making money. Not about the patients or the staff.

It sucks working in unsafe conditions but depending on where you stay that's all that's available. And when you have bills to pay and kids to take care of you know it's hard to turn the job down. Many places you go it's all about them making money. Not about the patients or the staff.

I understand that. I'm pointing out that nurse's agreeing to work in such conditions only enable to facility to get away with it.

I hope I never again have to work in a non union hospital.

Specializes in New Critical care NP, Critical care, Med-surg, LTC.

I work in a union hospital and sometimes we're still tripled in ICU. Refusing to work in a dangerous situation sounds like a great thing in principle, but as wayemika pointed out, the necessity to work at the job changes that. We can fill out an unsafe staffing report, and I'm sure it's circular filed as soon as we hit send.

On the bright side, we have awesome techs, when there's enough staffing. Bathing, turns, blood sugars, foleys, temps, they do all of that when they can.

I work in a union hospital and sometimes we're still tripled in ICU. Refusing to work in a dangerous situation sounds like a great thing in principle, but as wayemika pointed out, the necessity to work at the job changes that. We can fill out an unsafe staffing report, and I'm sure it's circular filed as soon as we hit send.

On the bright side, we have awesome techs, when there's enough staffing. Bathing, turns, blood sugars, foleys, temps, they do all of that when they can.

After an long search, I moved half way across the country to get away from such working conditions .

I know that isn't an option for everyone.

I'm not trying to criticize anyone. But I think it's good understand what you are doing, and what's happening. Even If you cant change It.

Techs were taken out of our ICU about 4 years ago, unfortunately. I find it to be very unsafe at times and I know for a fact patients do not get turned and bathed as often as they should on busy nights. :(

We have a tech. Our larger (16 bed) ICUs will sometimes have two techs, which is really nice. Blood sugars and baths are their main tasks. Nurses get all vitals and manage Foley output. The techs also help with turns and help to set up the rooms for new patients. A good tech can make your day!

In our 32 bed ICU we usually have 2 techs (CNA/PCT). Their responsibilities are to help with stocking the rooms, help with ADLs, turns, cleanups, and run some specimens to lab (those that cannot be sent through our tube systems), they also pick up blood products from blood bank, can help mobilize patients. They're trained to draw blood peripherally and from a-lines. But I never really see any icu nurse delegate that to a tech. In addition, our techs get specialized training on prepping for our bedside EVD placements (process takes like 20 minutes in a sterile setup). I appreciate our techs to no end!

Specializes in Hospitalist Medicine.

We have an 18-bed ICU and have 2 techs when we're full. RNs typically care for 2 pts, but are singled for open-hearts, CRRTs, balloon pumps, etc. While we do have techs, they only do the following: PRN EKGs, assist with turns, assist with baths/bedding changes, empty trash, replace linens/supplies, feed pts requiring assistance, ambulation. They are not allowed to check blood sugar, empty Foleys or other drains or anything I&O related (other than feeding if an assist is needed, which is rare).

Unfortunately, we've been short-staffed on techs & patient safety sitters in the hospital lately, so we've been having to make due with one or no techs on the weekends. It's highly frustrating, especially when you have intubated pts with fragile skin who need frequent turns and there's no help available. Our administrators seem to think that night shift staffing is a "waste of resources" :rolleyes:

Specializes in ICU.

My last ICU we were often tripled with no tech or any other support staff. It was terrible and patient care truly suffered. My new ICU we always have a tech regardless of census. They assist with baths, turns, check blood sugars, setting up rooms. Some are even signed off on collecting labs and inserting foleys. It makes a world of difference to be able to focus on the more complex tasks. It especially helps that our techs are great and are really aware of things that are appropriate for them to do and things that they need us for.

Specializes in ICU.
+ Add a Comment