Suggestions for PRN/part-time work?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

So I just recently graduated and became licensed with my RN degree, associates from a community college. I have worked for a company for the past 8 years that I absolutely love but it is a group home setting so we do not do much in the way of nursing skills at all. I know that it would be important to soon learn new skills as any new RN would in the med-surge or OR setting. However, my schedule is M-F from 7-3. I would be ok with working weekends or weekend days now and then, but I do not want to commit to doing 12s on both of my weekend days every single week.

Ideally what I am looking for is a PRN or part time nursing job for a new grad that I would be able to do a 4-8 hour shift for a few days during the week after I get off of my 7-3 shift. Does anyone know of anything like this that I could do, or am I pretty much out of luck here until I get hospital skills and experience?

Thanks in advance.

Your better route would be to seek a FT new grad position in acute care and do your original position on the side. It isn't reasonable to expect acute care to hire you into a per diem position with no experience; generally-speaking you need to be immersed in it in order to learn it well and in order to have it make financial sense for them to provide you with the type of orientation you will need.

You can always choose to leave on excellent terms with your original company, thanking them for the good relationship over the years - - or do the same while requesting a decrease in hours/informing them of less availability. If they are really that awesome, they'll understand that some times people need to do something new in order to utilize new skills, which is exactly your situation.

Good luck~

Thanks for the advice. That actually may work to ask to decrease my hours. The situation at my current employer is that I work M-F 8 hour shifts, two of those days we have two nurses on (myself and one other), but only need one. I could potentially drop down to just the three 8 hour shifts, then work a three 12s in acute care.

Specializes in school nurse.
Your better route would be to seek a FT new grad position in acute care and do your original position on the side. It isn't reasonable to expect acute care to hire you into a per diem position with no experience; generally-speaking you need to be immersed in it in order to learn it well and in order to have it make financial sense for them to provide you with the type of orientation you will need.

You can always choose to leave on excellent terms with your original company, thanking them for the good relationship over the years - - or do the same while requesting a decrease in hours/informing them of less availability. If they are really that awesome, they'll understand that some times people need to do something new in order to utilize new skills, which is exactly your situation.

Good luck~

So true! If you do this though, the hospital job will have to take priority over the old place, even if you do just per diem there. Hospital schedules can vary widely- as well as be changed with relatively little notice- so hopefully the old place won't sour on you if you can't do consistent hours...

The typical new graduate needs unobstructed availability to be an attractive candidate. Your original job will most likely have to be willing to work around your new one.

Also consider that it's unlikely that you will be able to secure a 7a-7p shift with no seniority. An 11-11 or 12-12 schedule might work if you can get it and if you don't need 8 hours of sleep, but any starting time later than that wouldn't work with your current job.

+ Add a Comment