Everything Sucks: Red Flags?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Okay, I'm gonna keep it semi-short. I'm a new grad yay! Working in a skilled nursing facility...today will be my second day of following behind a nurse....and she sucks lol

I mean I literally didn't get to do anything yeserday other than insulins (that went unwitnessed because "the computer does the math so no need", coumadins, and breathing treatments.

Mind you, I'd been doing that as required for a week prior along side the medication aide lol

She wants me to do the exact same thing today.She disappears off the unit every 4 minutes to smoke.....bleh. Did I mention she's the DON?!

I just feel like she doesn't want to train me for the two days she has me. Which is super dumb as you do want competent employees right?

What the heck? LOL

A few other things:

- I haven't been paid on time for second week in a row (every friday) - I'm being told now I have to wait until Monday

- They don't have coverage for a shift in which I'm supposed to be training

- They have yet to increase my pay rate when they said it would be done immediately - not to mention every time I ask what they pay rate is they go around it or beat around the bush...

- I'm the only 2nd shift nurse who will be charge - AS A NEW GRAD????!!!!

- They did all this talk about honesty and family and yet I literally read the lies in her progress notes on PATIENTS

How do I bear the madness?!

Ummm they don't require a co-sign because they know how hard it is to find another nurse to sign when you are the only nurse on the unit. Find a job somewhere where they have enough nurses around to check you when you need it. And if you co-sign that someone pulled up 40 units of Lantus, make sure you actually saw the bottle, while we are on the subject ;)

Specializes in Geriatrics, Home Health.

If they're not paying you on time, you need to get out. Full stop.

I have worked in 3 different acute care hospitals for 3 different companies and in each one: insulin, heparin, TPN, and some oncology meds always required a second sign-off, digitally, with password. No way to fake it.

No madness to bear. Time to fly. You don't even know your pay rate ??? and you will be hung out to dry on the afternoon shift.

Best wishes with your job search, leave this fiasco off of your resume.

Literally two of you were helpful. The rest of you have the attention span of a squirrel. But thanks anyway.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.
Literally two of you were helpful. The rest of you have the attention span of a squirrel. But thanks anyway.

Why dump on the people who were trying to help and keep the conversation going? That wasn't very nice.

You have disrespected the entire AN community.

With that attitude, you will not do well in any position.

Good luck getting any future advice from us.

Specializes in Critical care.

You brought up the topic of unwitnessed insulin injections. You can't dictate where the conversation flows. And newsflash: every comment made keeps this at the top of the message board where it will get more eyes on it instead of 3+ pages deep (where I never bother to look and I suspect it's the same with others), which increases the odds of comments and keeping the thread going.

This nurse with the "attention span of a squirrel" happens to be an ICU nurse with great reviews.

Wow. How exactly was anyone supposed to be helpful? You're the bright bulb who took a job under these horrific conditions. Exactly what are random anonymous posters on the internet going to do to help you?

With that comment, I hope you spend the rest of your career there. Have fun!

I've never worked anywhere that requires a second nurse to co-sign a subcutaneous insulin injection. An insulin drip is a different story and always requires a co-sign.

It always blows my mind that some places require 2 nurses to verify an insulin injection.

It blows my mind that I have to get another nurse to witness my one whole unit of correction insulin. Such a waste of time.

To OP, what a horrible attitude, I hope you are not like that with your patients.

Specializes in Med-Tele; ED; ICU.
Just wanted to say that our computers "do the math" also, for insulin, but the purpose of a witness is to verify that the correct amount was drawn up in the syringe.

And regarding computers, one of the first concepts that you learn in computer science and programming is the GIGO principle...

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

When I verify insulin, I start by looking at the patient and estimating their weight... and then asking them how much they weigh... and checking to see when they were last weighed. Then I look at the weight-based dosing order to see if it's rational. Then I do a quick calculation in my head to see if I get a similar number. Then I look a the vial. Then I look at the syringe.

I've been a techie for a very long time and I thoroughly trust computers to do just as they're told by their programmers and operators... the humans who are entering orders and parameters, and pulling meds, though? I don't trust them at all.

If I'm asked to verify then I verify... otherwise, leave me out of it.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

People here were trying to help!! With your attitude, maybe you deserve to stay where you are.

+ Add a Comment