Ethical dilemma! Need advice

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I recently was given a flash drive from a classmate and told that on it were study guides and notes for our next semester classes. The classmate that gave it to me is someone I've had clinical with, not close friends but someone that I believe I could trust. They told me that my group was the last group in class to get the flash drive which made me pause and ask if there was anything we shouldn't have on the flash drive. The reason this comment left me with concern is that our class has a special facebook group just for us that we share files with all the time, so I didn't understand why the information on the flash drive wouldn't have just been shared that way. When I asked them if there was anything on the flash drive that we shouldn't have , they told me no , that there were just study guides and notes. I just went on the flash drive and there are notes and study guides but there is also a couple files labeled test bank. I personally don't agree with test banks and would never use them but I wouldn't go out of my way to to tell on someone for using it because in my opinion it will catch up to them eventually. My issue is that my school is against test banks, they even make us sign a document that says we will not use test banks. I don't want to get people in trouble but now I am worried that if somehow it gets out that our class is passing around test banks that my name will get thrown in there because they gave me the flash drive,even though I don't plan on using it. So now I am torn between confronting my classmate and giving them back the flashdrive because I don't want my name part of any of this or going to one of my professors and giving them the flash drive. Or am I making a big deal out of nothing and I should throw it away and not worry about what the rest of my class is going to do with the information. Any advice on this dilemma would be much appreciated.

1. Give it back.

2. Let it go.

3. Paragraphs are your friends!

Bringing this issue up has the ability to create conflict for your classmates AND for you. What's a more likely outcome? ...that every classmate in the group gets kicked out of the program? ...or that they all stay and decide you're enemy #1?

1. Give it back.

2. Let it go.

3. Paragraphs are your friends!

Bringing this issue up has the ability to create conflict for your classmates AND for you. What's a more likely outcome? ...that every classmate in the group gets kicked out of the program? ...or that they all stay and decide you're enemy #1?

Yeah, I know about my long paragraph. I was in a rush and didn't really put much effort in my writing being grammatically correct. I do appreciate that you took the time to give me your advice. I have been leaning towards the decision to just give it back and forget that it happened. I like the person who gave it to me and really don't want to get them or anyone else in my class in trouble. My major worry is that if it gets out somehow , that I will be considered just as guilty for knowing and not saying anything.

You can't unring the bell that someone gave it to you. The only way to keep your name out of the list of the guilty is to give the drive to your instructor. Unfortunately you will still run the risk of being blamed for something. Glad I'm not in your shoes at this point.

Your school would have to have a policy specifically against test banks. Which then, has to include the entire internet. How would anyone know whether or not that pactice test on quizlet is from the book, or student-made questions vs taken from a test bank? Then, you don't even know if your teacher is going to use a single one of those test questions. Or, how do you even know those tests are from your textbook publisher, and not a different publisher? How do you even know it's from a textbook publisher at all? This isn't even touching on the debate on whether or not test banks are even cheating.

You're making a big deal over nothing.

If you don't want to use the test bank, just give the flash drive back and be done with it.

^^^^^

This. Agreed. Exactly.

Give it back now. Tell them in no uncertain terms "thanks but no thanks" then go on about your business.

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

Leave it alone, give it back, move on, keep your mouth shut. Anything else will end badly for all concerned.

If it was straight up cheating, "Hey here is last semester's test and answers," my answer would be to immediately report them to the undergraduate program director and let the chips fall where they may.

But others are right. These days with Quizlet and everything available online...as a bank of any or all possible questions it gets a little more murky.

I'd return the drive and continue on doing your own thing.

+ Add a Comment