SPC Spring 2019

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

I've been active on a different thread for people who applied to St. Petersburg College's Nursing program starting in August 2018. I made it on the alternate list (still completing Microbiology-finals tomorrow!), but have decided, with the help of an HEC advisor, not to accept if I get offered a last minute seat based on the fact that my only options for clinicals will be whatever no one else wanted. She said I'll definitely be accepted for January and will have top choice of clinicals/instructors, so I'm happy waiting another four months to start. Who else is applying for the Spring 2019 program?

Greetings ,

I'm applying for the Spring Term and hopefully being admitted. Good Luck and Best Wishes to all

I also applied for Spring 2019 term! Im so nervous but all we can do is wait now. I'm going in with all credits completed with a 3.722 program GPA, so its not the highest; but I dont have any grades for classes like psych and eng comp because they were AP credits or speech or humanities because i already have my AA and it only transfers over as credit and not grades. If I don't get in this round I might just retake a class to get my GPA up. Last spring though it seems like the cut off was around 3.69. Fingers crossed.

I also applied for Spring 2019 term! Im so nervous but all we can do is wait now. I'm going in with all credits completed with a 3.722 program GPA, so its not the highest; but I dont have any grades for classes like psych and eng comp because they were AP credits or speech or humanities because i already have my AA and it only transfers over as credit and not grades. If I don't get in this round I might just retake a class to get my GPA up. Last spring though it seems like the cut off was around 3.69. Fingers crossed.

I bet you'll get in! The lowest GPA that got in for this fall was barely above that (3.74) and spring is less competitive. I applied for fall with a 4.0 and only 26 of the 30 prereq hours because I'm just finishing microbiology now. So basically it was equivalent to someone with all 30 credit hours and a 3.6. I'm an alternate for fall but have decided not to take it if I get offered a last minute spot because I won't have a good choice of clinicals-just whatever no one else wanted-and I just started my first CNA job so I'm going to take these four and a half months to settle into my new job and do my last three AA classes.

Anybody here just finishing up Microbiology? I'm I'm in Dr. Menard's class-finals today and Thursday!

Thanks! That's what I've heard about spring so hopefully this time around stays true. Im applying to take my CNA exam in the next couple weeks! Where did you get your training? It sounds like you'll be a shoe-in this semester. Good luck on your Microbio finals!

Thanks! That's what I've heard about spring so hopefully this time around stays true. Im applying to take my CNA exam in the next couple weeks! Where did you get your training? It sounds like you'll be a shoe-in this semester. Good luck on your Microbio finals!

I didn't do a full CNA training, just the exam prep course then I challenged the exam-I didn't have an extra $1200 laying around to pay for a class that will qualify me for a job that I would have been automatically qualified for eventually (after Nursing Fundamentals). I went to Southern Technical Institute in Pinellas Park. It was $250 for a three day "power weekend" exam prep course, $85 for the background check, and I think $155 to challenge the exam. The only downside to doing it this way is most hospitals require proof of a full training program with clinical hours, so you can only work at nursing home type of facilities if you challenged the exam. I was actually hired at St. Anthony's as a PCT (by a nurse manager I met through volunteering)-dream schedule with amazing benefits, but after that, when it came time to make it official, she was unable to waive the eligibility requirements (in the absence of the full CNA training program, one year CNA experience or Nursing Fundamentals will fulfill those requirements-for BayCare hospitals anyway). So I just started at a nursing home and she said I have a job waiting for me as soon as I finish Fundamentals

Yeah, same I am taking the test as an E-3 challenger as well after completing a crash course. That's good to know about the nursing home/hospital time/experience requirement. I tried to do Baycares EAYL program for PTC but didn't get in the first time and just went ahead and paid for a course. Though we can get reimbursed through the nursing home after working 6 months for them (some sort of fed/state law i believe).

My nursing home does tuition reimbursement if you work full time but since nursing home shifts are 8 hours as opposed to 12 in hospitals it's impossible to be full time in only 3 days and the start/end times of the shifts make it so that you can't really do nursing school on the same day as work. I asked them if I could work longer shifts to hit full time with my Friday-Sunday schedule but they said it's not allowed. Seems kinda like a catch 22-yeah we'll reimburse you for nursing school but only if you work full time but it's impossible to work four 8 hour shifts and still make it to every class and clinical and have study time

Ahh, that is a catch 22. Dang, yeah there's no way I'd have time to work full-time. That's how they getcha.

Greetings Everyone,

I'll be applying with a 3.74 Program GPA for Spring. Can anyone explain the quality points and how they affect our admissions ? I'm baffled with those

Thanks Very Much

Greetings Everyone,

I'll be applying with a 3.74 Program GPA for Spring. Can anyone explain the quality points and how they affect our admissions ? I'm baffled with those

Thanks Very Much

I got a pretty thorough explanation of all that at the nursing applicant seminar in june beause I applied for fall as well, and also in my advisement session at the HEC last week. The quality points don't really figure into the points that are used to determine admissions. Somebody asked that specific question when they did a sample GPA Calculator on the projector, and the presenter said that the simple explanation is, there are 70 points possible. 30 of those points are for the 30 credit hours. 40 of those points are for a possible 4.0 GPA. Basically, a 3.7 GPA equates to 37 out of the possible 40 points (that's the GPA for only the classes included in that GPA calculator). So you will have 67 points. When I applied for fall I was lacking the last four credits (for micro) but had a 4.0 so I had 66 points, and to the admissions people, my score would have been identical to someone with a 3.6 and all 30 credits, which is why I only made it on the alternate list for fall. I haven't heard OFFICIALLY what the lowest accepted GPA was for this fall, but I did hear that the average was 3.87. I know the mean isn't ALWAYS the same as the median, but IF it was in this case, that means the lowest accepted was a 3.74. Also at that seminar, they showed us stats of the lowest and average GPAs of accepted students for the last five years. Every single one of those years, the lowest in spring was below 3.74 by a good 2-4 whole points. So as long as you're a Pinellas resident, I'd wager you'll make it in for a spring start. Hey, did you take Micro over the summer?

+ Add a Comment