Ocd over needles

World UK

Published

Hey all. Started nursing placements last week and have been doing BM's and insulin injections in the arm. Having EXTREME concerns over being stuck by needles. As in when i take off gloves and inspect hands if i see as much as one red mark or scratch i feel ill to the point of being physically sick.

Questions.

If i was to stick myself with a sub cut needle used to inject insulin whats the odds of hiv transmission?

Secondly, is there a way to get over the fear?

Thirdly, if a stick or scratch were to happen through gloves would i feel it???

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

Nothing wrong with being a little bit scared of needles -- that is what keeps you from being complacent. I used to be scared to death of giving injections. I got over it, mostly with time and experience. Wear your gloves, be careful with the needles and try to calm down a bit about the whole nursing placement thing. My first guess is that you're just anxious about the new role. If you're still having fears like this in a couple of weeks, you might try seeing a counselor to see what they make of it.

Thanks for advice

Only concern is everytime I've done an injection and looked at my hands after i always find red marks and little dots which look like punctures but I'm always 99% sure I've done it safely.

Just concerned i could hurt myself through gloves and not be aware

Just concerned i could hurt myself through gloves and not be aware

Oh you'll know. Trust me.

Specializes in Medical-Surgical/Float Pool/Stepdown.
Oh you'll know. Trust me.

Yep, it will hurt! (At least mine all have anyways...)

Thanks all. And am i right that a safety lancet will only fire once? So if i carried it to sharps box after use it can't have got me? Thanks.

Specializes in Reproductive & Public Health.

I've never had a dirty needle stick, but i've poked myself a few times and it does hurt, plus you will almost invariable see some blood at the site. And overall the risk of contracting a blood born pathogen from a SQ needle stick is very low, plus there is post-exposure prophylaxis. I take care of HIV pos patients all the time, including giving injections and getting up close and personal with all sorts of high-risk body fluids. It doesn't concern me at all, and i don't do anything differently in terms of precautions.

Just so you know, if you have an HIV pos patient who is established on medication with a consistently undetectable viral load, you are NOT at risk of HIV infection.

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Most if not all nhs wards/units will have sharp containers at the bedside or within easy reach

Thank you. Had heard that about subcut injections but can i ask why? Is it due to the type of needle? Or the depth of the penetration being too shallow to reach the patients blood supply?

Just always a concern that even being cautious it could catch me and I would br none the wiser. Had a few wee red marks on hands afterwards like the teeniest small mark, but thats pretty normal i guess with how often hands are used through day. I suppose you're right i would feel it as you're so switched on giving them and the minute i remove it i put on the safety guard. Just a bit wary i guess but hoping it passes.

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Majority of injections I gave was subcutaneous. Anything intravenously would require a cannula to be institu

Specializes in Emergency Department.

Does your trust not use safety needles? Mine does and they are an absolute pain to someone old fashioned like me but we must move with the times. I still give injections without gloves.

I've been stuck a few times, you will absolutely know when you have been stuck - as said earlier, it hurts. Red marks are exactly that - red marks.

In my area I would be more concerned about Hep B - easier to catch than HIV.

Just follow the hospital policy and the systems you have been taught and use safety needles and you will be fine. As you are a student you will have access to all sorts of information - do a search and find out what the chances of catching anything are and also how HIV, Hep B, etc. are transmitted.

I know it's easy for me to say but, relax, don't obsess about it, you will be fine.

Edited to add; just noticed you said that you use the guards, good, keep that up.

+ Add a Comment