Is it possible for a nurse to become a doctor?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello nurses, I was wondering if anyone here knows what is the fastest way to become a doctor. I am a 31 year old RN and I am really hoping that I can still accomplish it. PLEASE HELP.!!

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.
So I have been an RN for 3 years now and start med school on Monday.

It has not been an easy journey, but I knew where I wanted my career to go so I decided that becoming a physician was the better option for me instead of the quicker NP route.

Some general comments based on some comments from other posters.

*As PixieRN advised please do NOT go the "easy" or "quick" way with the Caribbean schools unless you have no other option. Cost is extremely high and match rates are poor.

I did not obtain another major, I just completed my RN-BSN program along with the pre-med courses (I did my ADN first).

***Being an RN first is a HUGE advantage in med school. I am constantly told that the nurses and EMT's are the BEST performing students, not the lowest as one poster claimed. You have clinical/pharmaceutical/general-how-healthcare-works-in-real-life knowledge. It served me well in my interviews.

Good luck to you on your journey and feel free to reach out!

Best of luck to you!!!!!!

It has not been an easy journey, but I knew where I wanted my career to go so I decided that becoming a physician was the better option for me instead of the quicker NP route.

*As PixieRN advised please do NOT go the "easy" or "quick" way with the Caribbean schools unless you have no other option. Cost is extremely high and match rates are poor.

I did not obtain another major, I just completed my RN-BSN program along with the pre-med courses (I did my ADN first).

***Being an RN first is a HUGE advantage in med school. I am constantly told that the nurses and EMT's are the BEST performing students, not the lowest as one poster claimed. You have clinical/pharmaceutical/general-how-healthcare-works-in-real-life knowledge. It served me well in my interviews.

Congrats, good luck, and please keep us updated!

Edit to ask: What do you mean by it has not been an easy journey? What were some of the obstacles?

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

That is awesome! It is a tough journey, and you will understand the phrase "drinking from a firehose" for real after your first year. My husband told me that year two was no lighter, but by that time you are used to it and you will have figured out your groove. Please keep us posted on your progress! How exciting. :)

WOW! CONGRATS! Do share your journey. It would definitely help hearing from a person who took the RN to MD route when I am being asked students. So you did not take the med prereqs or you had it already before you even became an RN?

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
Try to test out of a class or two.

Go to school outside the US, like the Caribbean.

Good luck matching.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
This is not a great idea. IMGs tend to have difficulty with the match. As in, they don't always match into a residency. I think they are at about 53%.

Or, what Pixie said.

Specializes in Cardiac.
Interestingly enough, there is a PA to DO bridge program

Accelerated Physician Assistant Pathway - LECOM Education System

Which makes sense. PA are educated under the medical model whereas NP is still nursing model.

+ Add a Comment