West coast university HELP

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

I'm currently in my 1st term at west coast university Ontario campus. I'm taking an anatomy class that is blended, meaning we pretty much barely have 2 hours of in class lecture per week then we're on our own to learn the rest of the material needed for that week. Also our lab and lectures never add up. I've taken a&p before & never had to learn half of this stuff they want to cram in a 10 week course. Apparently blended classes are a new thing for this school. Has anyone attended WCU and had a blended science course? I honestly feel like they are setting people up for failure! Also I'm started to second guess myself for choosing this school. After talking with MULTIPLE different people that should be able to help students with questions, not one person knew what they were taking about except the dean. The " for profit" really shows with this school, they can care less about the academic success of students....ADVICE NEEDED!

That's awesome. Maybe we will see each other during clinicals. What classes are u currently taking?

@nurselore I am taking cultural pluralism & FYS & Critical reasoning. What about you?

I'm taking Phil 341 and FYS. Next term I take path and Caps.

Same here! maybe we'll see each other in class soon

When's your FYS class? Mines on Friday afternoon

Hi NurseLore, I am taking Phil 341 and FYS as well this term then path and Caps next term. I was trying to squeeze in either path or caps in first term but they said those classes cant be taken in first term :( was so sad. I'm nervous about FYS as they said we have to take Teas. I took teas before but I didnt do so well. What will be you guys be doing in regards to your work schedule when starting nursing core? Im debating what I should do =/

Hi rochelle002!!! How exciting, we might be in the same classes as our schedules seem to be quite similar. During orientation one of the current students had stated she worked while attending school. I'm hoping to do the same because I heard clinicals are once a week and meeting with the instructor is once a week too. If that's not the case I'm going to ask my boss if he'll let me come in on the weekends to make up my hours. I can't afford to stop working.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.
I am interested in WGU but I was told when speaking to a rep that their program is very competitive and most people who are selected have TEAS of 85 or higher. Did you attend WGU at Cedars or Huntington Hospital?

My apologies for the confusion. I have been an RN (Purdue) since long before existed. I did not do the prelicensure program with them, but the RN-to-BSN and MSN programs. You are correct- WGU PL is super-competitive in most locations.

Hi NurseLore,

I also spoke with a admissions rep at and they told me the same thing! And they only accept up to 12 people for cohorts, not to mention the 6 month pre-nursing classes that are needed and once you complete those you have to apply just to be considered for the core nursing program.

I have a information session coming up this friday at WCU, a friend of mine graduated from their program about two years ago and said he highly recommends the program, its pricey but well worth it. Excited to see what this place has to offer.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, NurseLore said:

thank you guys. WCU gave me a Scholarship and the first year will cost me $10,000 after Fafsa, grants, and fed loans. I am hoping to have the same luck next year with the scholarship and I was also given me schedule that states I would graduate in 2 years. The benefit I see in this school is that I'll get a Bachelors too and the Nurse I work with mentioned that most hospitals are not hiring new grads with out a bachelors.

Hello! I was hoping you could share how you were able to receive scholarships from WCU? I read somewhere you need to be denied private loans first? Could you please share the process with me? Thank you so much!

Hi Jen Pharm,

So I applied for a loan by myself and then my boyfriend who I knew wouldn't qualify for the co-signer applied too and we got the denials. I had to screenshot the denials and send to my financial aid advisor and then WCU started the process for the scholarship. Right now WCU has the CARES grant being offered to students and its a good help. You should apply for this too. When I received the scholarship it was much simpler and now my friends tell me that they have to take an extra step before applying which is applying to two other scholarships. I hope this helps.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:56 PM, Neo Soldier said:

I went to riverside city college for my ADN. Also, you will still get hired if you earn your ADN. You may be limited where you get hired but the important thing is that you get a job while you work on your BSN so that you have experience plus a BSN.

Hi,

Was it hard to get into Riverside?

Thank you!

+ Add a Comment