Death's Perfect Timing

Nurses love to share extra-ordinary stories that give their listeners or readers goose-bumps. Some may call them happenstances or some kind of bizarre phenomena that just can't be explained. But the real story sometimes is just way to beautiful not to tell even if it seems just a little bit far-fetched. This article is based on a true story of a young nurse hesitant to tell her story about an experience about the death of her patient and the beautiful hymn that took him "to worlds unknown". Nurses General Nursing Article

Death's Perfect Timing

As healthcare providers, at some point during our careers we will inevitably share our goose bump stories with others. Our experiences bring those happenstances or koi-inky-dink moments just one narrative scene away from being easily scripted for a popular movie or television show.

The dialogue always starts innocently enough. Sometimes occurring during a few precious minutes with your workmates after a crisis or unusual event. This story's setting begins at an after-work gathering at a local pub to unwind and join in libations. The conversation somehow manages to lead to "shop talk".

"Hey! How did that code in your unit yesterday turn out?", asks the over-motherly nurse.

'"We didn't have a "code"', the wide-eyed, young graduate nurse replied while simultaneously air quoting with her fingers.

"Really? That's not what I heard?".

"YEAH", a few of the nurses chimed in simultaneously.

A small group of nurses within earshot, stopped their conversations mid-sentence now captivated by the young nurse being questioned. Metal barstools began screeching across the cement floor moving in closer; their intrigued faces clearly wanting more details. The young nurse took a slow, calculating sip of liquid courage while carefully choosing her words. It was a small town. Everybody knew everybody and their business. She was trained early on, that breaching patient confidentiality would risk disciplinary action over sharing an experience. But no matter what she said, they could easily look at the obituary section of the local paper and put two and two together.

Her neck turned blotchy pink and appearing slightly uncomfortable, fidgeted on her stool while thinking, "They'll probably think I'm making this up or worse yet... think I'm CRAZY!"

With some trepidation, she softly spoke, "Something bizarre happened. But I swear, it really did happen! For almost two weeks we had this patient on palliative care in our ICU. The family kept a constant bedside vigil. The patient suffered a post-operative hemorrhagic stroke after a metastatic bowel resection. Comatose and intubated, the prognosis was poor. Visitors where non-stop day and night. The youngest son lived several states away. They wanted to wait for him to arrive before making the decision to change the code status and remove life support. Every night, family and friends would gather at the bedside, close the big glass doors, then pray and sing hymns. Yesterday, the son finally arrived."

She overheard several of the intensely listening nurses gasp, while exchanging knowingly looks and nodding simultaneously.

"Clergy arrived, orders were written. My co-worker and I removed all life support then returned to the nurses' station. I noticed a blinking heart rate on the main monitor. I had forgotten to disconnect the hardwire from the patient. Not to disturb the family gathered around the bed holding hands and praying. All we could do was watch the monitor while listening to them sing one of the patient's favorite hymns "Rock of Ages". Then the heart rate began dropping...56...33...28 "While I draw this fleeting breath, when my eyes shall close in death...25..." When I rise to worlds unknown...17...13... "Rock of Ages, cleft for me" ...10... "Let me hide myself in Thee" ... then asystole. We both startled, as the glass door slid open. The wife stepped out and said, 'He's gone'. I immediately felt a cool breeze tickle both my arms with goosebumps and the hair at the nap of my neck felt electrified."

If this story sounds just a little far-fetched. I probably would have agreed with you. If it wasn't for the fact, I was that young nurse. I never could explain the scientific phenomena I witnessed the day; when death had a somewhat creepy but beautifully perfect, heavenly timing.

Specialty- Cardiac Nurse 15+ years, Travel RN over 10 years. US

1 Article   2 Posts

God took him home.

What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

What a beautiful story and well written! I do not think it is far-fetched at all. I believe that we, as humans, are made up of body, soul, and spirit. Her body was ready to go, her soul and spirit were waiting for the "right time". When her son arrived she could say goodbye to all her loved ones, and when she heard her favorite hymn she was spiritually filled and ready to move on, to let go of this world. I have seen patients who, for whatever reason, are holding on to life at their time of death, it is only after someone tells them its OK to go, OK to let go, that they do (just saw it recently with a Hospice Nurse). It is a honor and privilege to be a nurse in this position of assisting a patient and family at the time of death.

God took him home.

What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

Amen to that!

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

I will never forget this one resident at my assisted living facility whom I'll call "Marge". She was a cantankerous old soul who was on hospice, dying of CHF, but she kept hanging on, unresponsive but obviously fighting death tooth and nails. Marge's daughter was in some denial and insisted that we should try to wake her up instead of giving her morphine, but of course we couldn't---the active dying process was in full swing and it was only a matter of time. Still, Marge refused to let go...two days passed, then three, then four. We all wondered when she'd stop fighting, but it was apparent that she was waiting for something, or someone. But there was no one; her husband and all of her children except for the one daughter were dead.

One night, the daughter let it slip that Marge---hard drinkin', foul-mouthed, honky-tonk queen Marge---was actually fond of hymns, and often sang them to the kids at bedtime. She was particularly fond of "In The Garden". The next day, I called hospice to see if they would send the music therapist over to play Marge some hymns. As it turned out, the lady brought in a harp and sat down to play. Marge's daughter asked her to play "In The Garden". No sooner had she played the first verse, than Marge's face took on a look of peace and she drew a deep breath...then stopped. We all agreed she went to Heaven on the music of the angels.

Specializes in LTC, CPR instructor, First aid instructor..

A huge AMEN to your story. His death was truly a perfect one, and not creepy at all; It was beautiful and yes, truly perfect. Thank you for sharing it with us.:up:

"We are all like snowflakes. Each one different, but all are beautiful in God's eyes."

...and Amen to that too!!

Beautiful story; put tears in my eyes this morning.

Specializes in EMS, LTC, Sub-acute Rehab.

Your story is anything but far-fetched. A few years ago, I switched from the Rehab wing of the facility to Long Term Care. We accept mostly palliative/hospice/respite care. It's not uncommon to lose 1 patient a week in God's waiting room.

I've seen many similar things myself. Sometimes the experience, is witnessing an appointment with the divine. Other times, just a clock unwinding. The experience is unique. My experience has also taught me, very few people are accepting and ready for death, especially family members. Whether there clinging on to unresolved business or waiting the last family member to arrive.

A peaceful, painless, dignified death is the last best medical intervention we can provide to our patients.

Specializes in OR 35 years; crosstrained ER/ICU/PACU.

There is nothing far-fetched about this! When I was first out of school I had an elderly patient on my 3-11 shift who kept trying to leave. He had his belongings in a patient belongings bag, & had dressed in the clothes he'd arrived in as a respite-care patient (a short-term 24-hr admission to give care-givers at home a break). The old man tried several times to leave, saying he needed to go home, as I finished my charting, & I went home with him tucked in again. When I returned at 3pm the next day, I learned my little old man passed away during the night! He really wanted to go home!! .

Ahhh so wonderful! Thanks for sharing! I am a hospice nurse and I have seen some amazing things that make me (and my co-workers) believers in powers that are outside our human understanding.