One question about insulin.

World General World

Published

Hi all,

It is a great forum to share experience with others.

The following example is a pre-set scenario:

A patient is on NovoMix BD, before breakfast 08:00 and before dinner 17:00.

At 07:30, if BSL is 4.0 mmol/L, what would you do? would like to give NovoMix half hour before breakfast at 08:00?

At 07:30, if BSL is 4.2 mmol/L, what would you do?

At 07:30, if BSL is 4.6 mmol/L, what would you do?

At 07:30, if BSL is 5.0 mmol/L, what would you do?

Can anyone share your experience here?

Thanks.

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

What would you do?

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Seems like homework.and we always ask YOU to tell us what YOU think the answers are and then WE provide feedback. In other words, we don't do the homework for you.

This question looks simple. However, it could be a little bit complex. My question established the opportunity for others to share experience.

It is not a homework. I am a nurse.

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Then you can give an idea on what you would do and members will chime in with their thoughts

@JOHN2018.

I wish you would give the dose of the Novomix BD. Deciding to give or withhold the Insulin due dose can be a dilemma sometimes because of several factors. 1.) Does your doctor sets the parameter when you need to notify the BGL readings? 2.) Chronic DM patients sometime will report signs of hypoglycemia even their BGL (5-7 mmol/l)which is considered within normal ranges for regular people however for DM patients we need to consider this before administering any insulin. 3.) Consider the dose, if the dose she is getting is over 20 units and her BGL is

The newly diagnosed clients commencing on insulin therapy, usually starts at low doses. So if her BGL is 4 or 4.2 I will still withhold her dose. If >4.6, I will administer her Novomix right before she will commence her meal and to stay on the safe side, I will do a post-prandial BGL and if it is low, its best to ask for a review of the dosage.

Other nurses may respond differently. This is just my opinion.

I believe you are a senior nurse with rich experience.

The paragraph you wrote here is quite good, except two typos.

One sentence from your paragraph, "if the dose she is getting is over 20 units and her BGL is

It wouldn't be "withhold". It can be "delay".

Another sentence from your paragraph, "if her BGL is 4 or 4.2 I will still withhold her dose."

Thanks.

@JOHN2018.

Hi John, like I said, we all react to situations diffently. The clinical judgement we each take differs. I may say withhold, you may say delay.

You raise a situation that requires clinical judgement. The main point is, what you do next? When I decide to withhold the dose. My judgement didnt ends there. I escalate it and go from there.

When you decide to "delay" the dose. It can also mean, you let them have their breakfast and give the dose after meal. I see nurses do this.

Again, there is no stiff rules in how we should react to every situation presented in our daily practice. But protocols and policies are in place to guide us in what do within reason.

Thanks for this brainstorming situation you presented John.

Bu the way.. I am not from an English-speaking country. I hope typos would not be a big issue as long those who we work with are on the same page.

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.
I believe you are a senior nurse with rich experience.

The paragraph you wrote here is quite good, except two typos.

One sentence from your paragraph, "if the dose she is getting is over 20 units and her BGL is

Another sentence from your paragraph, "if her BGL is 4 or 4.2 I will still withhold her dose."

Thanks.

Wait, you got someone to do your homework for you and you critique her writing? Are you too lazy to even proofread and rewrite it before you hand it in as your own?

Wait, you got someone to do your homework for you and you critique her writing? Are you too lazy to even proofread and rewrite it before you hand it in as your own?

He did that on another thread, too. Asked a question and then criticized the one poster who attempted to respond for not answering the way he wanted.

In my neck of the woods, the term "withhold" is used by doctors and nurses alike. But who are we to say? The OP is the expert who seems to be baiting on this website. Should return to SDN for another laugh.

+ Add a Comment