Informatics? Please help me because I'm 100% lost

Specialties Informatics

Updated:   Published

So this is actually going to sound really stupid (I know that there are people out there who might tell me to search this forum and find answers on my own - I hear ya, I've got Asperger's/HFA so bear with me) but what exactly is nursing informatics?

Under specialties for Nursing Informatics on this website it states "Nursing informatics is a specialty that integrates nursing science, computer science, and information science to manage and communicate data, information, knowledge and wisdom in nursing practice.

I mean from what I'm reading it says nursing + computer & information science that leads to (->) nursing data/information/knowledge/wisdom. Aren't all four of these words synonymous to each other and describe one single concept? What the heck does that even mean?

I don't mean to insult anyone who is a nurse informaticist, I got my BSN and I'm actually thinking about going back to get my MSN in health/nursing informatics.

But if you had to put it into words, what is nursing informatics? What do you do while you're at work? What does a typical day look like? Do I need to know how to write computer code? What should I look for in informatic school programs that will help me be most successful?

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I'll let someone from nursing information discuss their typical day ... but I will tackle your other question about data/information/knowledge/wisdom as that was something I studied in graduate school.

Those words describe concepts that are similar, but not identical. Each represents a different level of knowledge. In other words:

"Data" is a collection of single facts that may or may not fit together or have any significant meaning. For example, you could have a list of responses to a questionnaire in which the questions aren't related to each other in any way. Or ... a little light is "on" or it is "off" -- and you don't know what the little light being on means. That would be data, but there would be no meaningful knowledge or wisdom there.

When you organize and process bits of data that relate to other, you have some "information" about the topic or situation. When you further process the information, assign meaning to it, connect it to other meaningful information, etc. ... you can develop "knowledge" about a subject -- knowledge that helps you understand the world. "Wisdom" is the highest level, representing not only an understanding of the basic facts and more sophisticated knowledge about a subject, but also possessing the intellectual and moral ability to make sophisticated judgements about the situation.

Does that explanation help you see the differences in the terms? A person may have a lot of random data that doesn't mean anything to them. Data only becomes useful when it is related to other data, assigned meaning, etc. to build information, knowledge and wisdom. People who work with data/information/knowledge/wisdom on a regular basis find these distinctions very important.

@llg: Thank you, I hadn't really thought through it all in the perspective. It really makes a lot more sense, I just kept getting stuck in a circle.

Specializes in ER, ICU.

Informatics also does a lot with electronic medical record. As an educator I'm talking to them all the time about how to arrange our documentation. For example, they can add clocks that will prompt the nurse to document every 2 hours that might align with a policy. Or what elements to include in an assessment related to a complaint.

Specializes in critical care, emergency.

I am hoping someone can help me understand what education I need to get my foot into nursing informatics.

Some background: I am a BSN nurse with 8 years of experience ER, ICU. I have very little in the way of computer training. My question is this. Is it possible for me to get a job in informatics as a BSN if I take an associates informatics/computer degree. My plan would be to continue getting educated at least to a master's level in this specialty.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Josh

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

Nursing Informatics isn't typically your standard computer/IT support job - it's more about information and knowledge. I am not sure that a Bachelors would benefit you. I suggest reading through some of the threads in this forum to gain a better understanding of the specialty. One example is a nurse who works with a specific clinical application to apply both knowledge of that EHR's functionality and what nurses need from it clinically.

Specializes in Med/Surg, OB/GYN, Informatics, Simulation.

Honestly the advice I got from my facility was to volunteer to be a superuser for my clinical application and support go-lives throughout the organization. I have my BSN, but they steered me away from getting a master's in informatics simply because they valued the work experience more. I ultimately did a few go lives for my organization and got hired as a full time clinical informatics educator which I love. I am finishing my master's in nursing education simply because a lot of informatics handles education, and I find it helpful to understand how to teach people, whether it's the end users or teaching analysts how to build various applications.

Specializes in Clinical Informatics/IS Analyst.

Nursing Informatics or Clinical Informatics serve as a liaison between the end user and computer analyst. One must truly be savvy in the clinical and technical world.

Specializes in Clinical Informatics/IS Analyst.

Experience as a Super User is greatly beneficial. Your ER experience would be valuable if your EHR has specific solutions for ER.

Hi! I was preparing myself to go back to school and was interested in this Masters program. They have an RN-MSN option. I was considering this field because I love working at the hospital, but want to transition out of bedside and have always been interested in computers and software. On my unit, I was always volunteered to be one of the Super Users when we switched our programs. Was not sure if those that are in the field now, recommend a Masters degree or if most companies want you to have experience over an advanced degree. Thanks for your input!

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

I think experience is more desired, the MSN is a bonus.

Hi everyone,

I'm a BSN nurse with almost 5 years experience. I've done a year and half of bedside med/surg and the rest as an OR circulator. I love the OR and couldn't imagine doing anything else in patient care, but I'm starting to grow restless and want to learn something new. I've thought about getting away from direct patient care and I like the idea of informatics. I'm a super user at my facility, and help with preference card changes. I know it's not much, and I have zero IT or computer science experience. I was thinking about applying to an MSN informatics program, but I'm honestly not exactly sure what the courses are like or if I'd feel totally lost. What's a typical day look like for someone in this role?

+ Add a Comment