On Call

Specialties Geriatric

Published

I would like to know if it's legal to be on call for 24 hrs, 4 days in a row? Are there any regulations regarding the amount of time someone is expected to be on call? Is it logical to be asked to work a day time shift from 8am-5pm, then be asked at 7pm to come in to work the 10p-6am shift? When are you expected to sleep? How can that be safe for the patients?

If you are on-call then you need to be paid for those "on-call hours". My experience with nursing homes is that they don't care if they destroy someone's health by having them work 16 hours a day seven days a week. It's not safe for the patients and they could care less if you get adequate sleep or not. I had begged and pleaded for them to stop calling me for overtime. They never listened. So I stopped answering my phone period. I told friends to leave me a message because I would not be answering my phone anymore period. That's the only thing that worked for me.

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.

I have my work place listed in my contacts so when they ring me for overtime, I can choose whether I want to take the call or not

I have my work place listed in my contacts so when they ring me for overtime, I can choose whether I want to take the call or not

A previous employer called from a restricted number. Since I usually never answer restricted or 'caller unknown' calls, I already avoided them. Discussed it with a coworker, she said she wasn't going to start answering that type of phone call just so she could be at their beck and call. OP should clarify on call and short turn around hour rules with their local labor board.

I mean, that depends on your position. My DON is on call 24/7 and comes in when needed. But so do I. We just get the next day off.

I was a DON for several years. I was on call 24/7. As far as coming in, you have to know when enough is enough. If you work and are too tired and cause harm, you will find yourself alone in front of the BON. Your facility management will say that you should have told them you were too tired and you will face the consequences alone. You have to be your own advocate. That being said, your facility may choose to discipline you for not coming in if your on call. In my experience, if nurses switched off with me as the DON and took call, I would not have them work shift after shift. If we kept having call ins someone else would have to go in, or I would cover it. We worked as a team.

+ Add a Comment