Anyone else try urgent care and hate it?

Specialties Emergency

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi all,

So I was an ER nurse a few years ago, left to do IV team, which I am ok with, but I feel like my nursing skills are going down because I am not using them.

I decided to try urgent care on a per-diem basis and started this week, I have only had two shifts so far, but I really don't enjoy it at all. There isn't much for nurses to do there other than room patients and discharge them, with an occasional PO or IM injection. Nurses at this UC aren't even allowed to splint which is a little ridiculous if you ask me, but anyway. I am just not sure if I should give it another week or two, I just don't want them to waste time orienting me for something I dislike. I am still part of the IV team at the same hospital so I can still revert back to doing that per-diem. I just don't even feel like UC even needs RNs for the most part.

Has anyone else hated it at first, but then liked it after a while?

Annie

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

I work pool in a busy pedi Urgent Care, for over 10 years now. We have phlebotomists, usually, but otherwise we do everything else. I don't hate the job but I hate how the Medicaid system has evolved into being abused by the parents and by the facility. No one can have Medicaid without a PCP. Ninety five percent of our patients have Medicaid, 95% of our visits should be appointments made with the PCP; siblings x 4, cough/congestion for two weeks, for example, a single visit which generates a cost to the taxpayers of about 2000.00. The abuse is rampant and there is no oversight regarding the insured or no oversight regarding the facility laughing all the way to the bank as a result. That's what I hate.

Specializes in ICU, CVICU, E.R..

I work at a Freestanding ER which has no RT and no phlebotomists. I love it here. It can be challenging at times when train wrecks walk through the door, (STEMI's, Strokes, Gunshots, stabbings, Cardiac/Respiratory arrests) since we are not informed ahead of time (these patients are usually walk-ins brought in by family, friends, or strangers). For the 1st 6 months it was a hate/love thing as I had so much to learn but as I got comfortable I slowly enjoyed working here. I work nights and love it when 7am comes around and there's almost always no patient and no report to give the morning crew.

1 Votes

Sorry to hear this; UC is something I've thought about doing.

Does this place/position have any redeeming qualities or is it all just "blah"?

Thanks everyone for your input! I will give it one more shift, which would be Wednesday of this week. Thursday they are going to invest the whole day training me for labs, their specific monitor and other equipment and I don't want to waste their time. I want a position that involves more nursing, and not just discharging people and rooming them.

Pheebz... A free standing ER sounds great, and I think that would be more my cup of tea. They are building a new one near me, but obviously it won't be open for quite some time since it doesn't even have a foundation yet and is only in the planning stages.

Annie

Sorry to hear this; UC is something I've thought about doing.

Does this place/position have any redeeming qualities or is it all just "blah"?

I would say if you are an ER nurse now, chances are Urgent Care will be just blah to you, as it is me. It just doesn't really involve a lot of nursing care. It's just more educating patients on discharge and then rooming them and making sure they don't need immediate care by a physician. VERY rarely does anyone need an IV or meds, and on occasion you give IM meds. No real critical thinking involved, it is just blah!

I don't know though, you may turn out to like it. I do highly recommend if you get an interview that you shadow before accepting a position, I am now learning this lesson!

Annie

1 Votes
Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

I am surprised you found an UC that hired RNs! I think that is a rarity in some areas. I worked in a freestanding ED in Virginia, I loved it. We had no RT or pharmacy support there, we had to do it all.

I am surprised you found an UC that hired RNs! I think that is a rarity in some areas. I worked in a freestanding ED in Virginia, I loved it. We had no RT or pharmacy support there, we had to do it all.

It is hospital owned so I think that is why, although I am surprised they don't hire LPNs instead.

Annie

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

I met a few older nurses who liked the fast track part of our ER because it was lower acuity and less physical than the other sections. One nurse felt that his body could only take triage and urgent care and he had a hard time in regualr assignments, pushing patients up to their rooms and running your orifice off. I found fast track a nice break from the work load, but I don't think I could do that 100% of the time. Some nurses really love it. I've only seen a few urgent care openings in my area open to RNs most of it is LVN driven I have notied.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

At the places where "fast track" is truly fast, we busted our behinds to move people through quickly, usually with a lot less staff! But I have experienced places where people thought that the lower acuity should be met with less speed/effort, too.

1 Votes
At the places where "fast track" is truly fast, we busted our behinds to move people through quickly, usually with a lot less staff! But I have experienced places where people thought that the lower acuity should be met with less speed/effort, too.

Hi, this urgent care is VERY well staffed. They have 8 rooms total, one tech that does most of the labs, rooms patients, VS, sets up suture trays etc. A secretary that does all the phone calls etc., and two RNs. One doctor and one PA on every day. Housekeeping does every bed once the patient's leave so even that is done for you.

I don't mind the fast pace, it's just as I said, I don't feel like nurse working there.

Annie

Hi, this urgent care is VERY well staffed. They have 8 rooms total, one tech that does most of the labs, rooms patients, VS, sets up suture trays etc. A secretary that does all the phone calls etc., and two RNs. One doctor and one PA on every day. Housekeeping does every bed once the patient's leave so even that is done for you.

I don't mind the fast pace, it's just as I said, I don't feel like nurse working there.

Annie

They have housekeeping? Wow, every urgent care that I did clinicals in during my LPN program had nowhere near this amount of staff. I can see your point now.

1 Votes
+ Add a Comment