FOMO & anxiety. Need advise.

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am sorry this is going to sound a bit long. Over the years I have developed anxiety and depression since beginning of college. I didn't do well in first couple years because my study habits indicate that I have ADD. I have always procrastinated and didn't study until the night before. I kept doing it for many classes even though I knew it wasn't the right thing to do. I wanted to take break from school but my parents wouldn't let me. I was getting F's,D's and C's for several semesters.

I think my anxiety/depression/low self esteem is caused by me getting bad grades in college. I was a mess. I felt worthless. Fast forward now I have since changed my study habits and retook the classes and getting A's. Hard work paid off and now I am in a reputable RN program in LA. I don't take ADD/depression pills and never did.

It has been several years since I have deactivated facebook / Instagram. Even though I logged back a few times. I experienced FOMO when I see friends/acquaintance hanging out w/o me, or people I dislike are painting themselves a nice picture even though they are not what they portray to be. Those I was friends with has "lost contact " with me due to me deleting FB.

I guess those likes and comments are really important to keep people in touch.

Don't know how social media will affect one mental health if that individual lives under the impact of social media FOREVER. It has only been less than two decades since it was introduced. Human just can't keep in touch without social media anymore? Is that what it is from now on? I have to say that I have lost a lot of " friends" and not being able to keep in touch with many good people. Missing out makes me unhappy but I can see FB being a dangerous addiction and it's just a cyclical, vicious cycle. I had to stop it before it destroy my mental health completely. I found myself constantly compare myself to others and it makes me UNHAPPY. And social media makes everything worse.

Can human make friends and keep in touch without social media anymore? Can I ever be happy again without taking happy pills? I was able to overcome ADD w/o taking medication. ( I may still have it but it won't affect my school anymore.)

Any advise would be appreciated.

I apologize if you took that as an insult. If you had read my thread, you know I suspected that I have all the the problems you are having. Except, suicidal thoughts.

TBH, I am not even surprised how many nurses/NS here are taking antidepressants.

Not saying everyone is taking them, but more and more people are doing it. Not the other way around.

YEAR vs MED, it's a positive slope right there.

Do you think that this is, perhaps, related to people like me being more open about how they feel, lifting the stigma a bit and allowing people to get the help they've always needed? And now people have access to more affordable health care?

I don't know your story, maybe you really NEED them. Everyone takes those in order to function, not for fun. Have you thought about when THIS will be over? I guess you can take that for life as long as you need them. But at what cost?

This what? This life? I've been struggling with my depression for about 15 years now. Depression isn't always (or even mostly) situational. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain. THIS is never over for me. And what cost are you referring to?

What if, you can avoid all of those if YOU, decide to fight for your own happiness. Not saying it will definitely work, but not everyone is willing to do the work.I might not be the best shape right now in my life, but I am still hopeful. I believe I can overcome those unhealthy thoughts, it may just take more time and effort from myself. I will try therapy if I can afford. Yoga, meditation or whatever. They do work. I just gotta stick to them and make a habit out of it. If everyone believes sudden transformation, then we are less likely to be the person we wish to be. Good things rarely happen overnight, only the bad things.

You think I haven't fought? You think I don't fight every single day? And that meds are a way of giving up? 15 years, lady. Of therapy, of "just exercising", and thinking good thoughts. You don't understand mental illness at all. I suggest until you do, you stop talking about it.

Ultimately if you think you NEED it to function, do as you please. But there might be some people which may not need the medication as much/often as you do, need to know, they may not have to depend on medications to be "happy" or normal for the rest of their lives.

I don't think I need it to function, I know I do. That's what my therapist, my PCP and I have decided together, as a team.

I hope the medication can ultimately get rid of your suicidal thoughts. Hopefully that doesn't require a longer commitment than you had hoped.

They have, years ago. Which is why I'm still on the meds. Because they work for me. And I have kids, and a husband and dogs and dreams that I need to make come true.

-------------

A part of the void has been filled by spilling out my guts here at AN... I feel better, feel like I don't have depression or anxiety. There is a sense of peace within me. Will continue to try different ways to find#peace.

How nice for you.

I really have more things to say, but I'm sure they will be against the TOS. I will say that you're the first person to really, honestly upset me and make me reconsider visiting AllNurses in my two years here. Great job.

This what? This life? I've been struggling with my depression for about 15 years now. Depression isn't always (or even mostly) situational. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain. THIS is never over for me. And what cost are you referring to?

-Can you say everyone have been taking them for 15 years? Some longer some shorter. If that prevents suicidal thoughts, its NEEDED and WORTH it. I can give you a list of COST, or you can google them yourself. I know a doctor battles with depression and killed himself eventually; Gordon Livingston- the psychicritrist, has a son that died of suicide.

Those meds doesn't work for everyone, if your suffer chronic depression and it works for you, take them. You do you.

You think I haven't fought? You think I don't fight every single day? And that meds are a way of giving up? 15 years, lady. Of therapy, of "just exercising", and thinking good thoughts. You don't understand mental illness at all. I suggest until you do, you stop talking about it.

-If you have fought and nothing worked, then medication might be the solution. I know people with bipolar and chronic depression become unstable when they are off of it. Nothing wrong with taking medication when all else failed.

Therefore, you don't belong the category I am referring to here - those who haven't fought hard enough. Medication is taking away their opportunity to fight for themselves.

I don't think I need it to function, I know I do. That's what my therapist, my PCP and I have decided together, as a team.

They have, years ago. Which is why I'm still on the meds. Because they work for me. And I have kids, and a husband and dogs and dreams that I need to make come true.

I really have more things to say, but I'm sure they will be against the TOS. I will say that you're the first person to really, honestly upset me and make me reconsider visiting AllNurses in my two years here. Great job.

You are upset because you are vulnerable to this topic. While I have no intention to hurt people's feeling, my opinions are sorely for anyone ( that is depressed) but your category.

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.
Nobody has to take my advise. It's just my 0.02. If you think the opposite of my opinion should be advised. Then good luck to those who followed that advise.

I'm sorry to do this. I certainly make my fair share of misspellings, typos, etc, but I have to say something: you are asking for (actually mostly giving) advice. 'Advise' is a verb meaning to give recommendations. 'Advice' is the noun describing those actual recommendations.

In all fairness, I have to think twice to make sure I'm using the right one. Anyway, just some advice for the future.

I couldn't function the first time around in college. I was that dead horse, nothing motivated me. Now I think if I had taken some medications, I would have been accepted in nursing first time around and graduated with honors. But I would probably still take them now or longer than I wanted to. That's the cost. So now looking back, I don't regret anything.

And like I said to itsthatjengirl, you have fought and both your doctor and you agreed that taking medication is the best solution. I have nothing else to say. My opinions are not suited for you.

From temporarily dependence, to long term dependence, then addiction and finally, abuse. Sorry I was one step ahead what you are at now, yes you may not be addicted. I apologize. Hopefully you stay where you at, or better.

I take six psychiatric medications, and probably will for the rest of my life. Am I addicted to them? No. But I am dependent on them; I cannot function properly unmedicated. I've tried dealing with my mental illness without meds, and all that did was make me alternately manic and severely depressed. There was no in-between, like there is now when I am stable for months and years at a time. Every now and again I get the idea that I'm not sick and I don't need meds, but reality has a way of crashing in on me and I go right back to them. Like I said, I'm not addicted, but I'm definitely dependent. There is a difference.

I couldn't function the first time around in college. I was that dead horse, nothing motivated me. Now I think if I had taken some medications, I would have been accepted in nursing first time around and graduated with honors. But I would probably still take them now or longer than I wanted to. That's the cost. So now looking back, I don't regret anything.

And like I said to itsthatjengirl, you have fought and both your doctor and you agreed that taking medication is the best solution. I have nothing else to say. My opinions are not suited for you.

From temporarily dependence, to long term dependence, then addiction and finally, abuse. Sorry I was one step ahead what you are at now, yes you may not be addicted. I apologize. Hopefully you stay where you at, or better.

I'm sorry to do this. I certainly make my fair share of misspellings, typos, etc, but I have to say something: you are asking for (actually mostly giving) advice. 'Advise' is a verb meaning to give recommendations. 'Advice' is the noun describing those actual recommendations.

In all fairness, I have to think twice to make sure I'm using the right one. Anyway, just some advice for the future.

That's been driving me crazy, so I thank you.

Opps. Yes you are right. Sorry English is not my first language. I try to be as grammarly correct as possible. Thanks for your advice.

Just hang in there, Octobermyfav. You are not alone. I've heard some good physical exercise is really helpful to feeling better too. Thanks for opening this thread.

On a quick side note, there's probably no need to do the all caps thing. It looks like your screaming the words at someone when people are wanting to help.

ItsThatJenGirl, thank you for making the point about happy pills. I never thought of it like that but totally see your point and will not be using that term. I'm sure I've used it in reference to myself before at some point. I can now see where that could hurt someones feelings. It's not like you want to 'need to'. Thanks for the enlightening on that, and you too, VivaLasViejas. Y'all are so sweet and brave to share your stories, and you too, Octobermyfav.

One very nice thing is we can all talk about it here together if we want. We all have one thing in common, that's nursing, life and being human beings first.:inlove:

I just went and reread and there weren't that many caps. I guess it was the word 'need' in all caps that felt like lashing out. That's the very thing your questioning for yourself, right? I'm sure it's not easy for anyone to figure out. We're all here for each other, you included.

I'm praying we can all feel better and help heal each other through kindness and love for each other, maybe right here on this message board. Who knows?! It is nurse's week too, so why not? Why not everyday?

-Can you say everyone have been taking them for 15 years? Some longer some shorter. If that prevents suicidal thoughts, its NEEDED and WORTH it. I can give you a list of COST, or you can google them yourself. I know a doctor battles with depression and killed himself eventually; Gordon Livingston- the psychicritrist, has a son that died of suicide.

Those meds doesn't work for everyone, if your suffer chronic depression and it works for you, take them. You do you.

-If you have fought and nothing worked, then medication might be the solution. I know people with bipolar and chronic depression become unstable when they are off of it. Nothing wrong with taking medication when all else failed.

Therefore, you don't belong the category I am referring to here - those who haven't fought hard enough. Medication is taking away their opportunity to fight for themselves.

You are upset because you are vulnerable to this topic. While I have no intention to hurt people's feeling, my opinions are sorely for anyone ( that is depressed) but your category.

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself. Unlike you, who is hell bent on making gross generalizations about a topic you've proven to know very little about. You can't make broad, ignorant statements about people and not expect some push-back.

Unless you've been diagnosed with depression/anxiety/ADD, or have been in the position of caring for someone with those issues (in a professional capacity, not anecdotally), you really shouldn't speak to them. Your statements are ignorant and hurtful.

I'm done discussing this with you. You're no longer worth my time.

This thread has veered off-topic from the original subject, "Fear of missing out (FOMO)".

OP, you are self-diagnosing and self-treating. This can be a dangerous thing.

You stated in an earlier post (#46):

... I am writing it here because I will be a nurse and, hopefully will get some vaulable professional opinions from those who have psychiatric background ...

You also stated in that same post:

... People ask me to seek therapy and I agree.

Seeking advice from Psychiatric Nurses specifically (or allnurses members in general) to help you with your self-diagnosis/treatment, is against the Terms of Service of the site regarding medical advice.

So, please seek the help you think you need and we honestly wish you well.

Thread closed.

+ Add a Comment