Should I come back to ER?

Specialties Emergency

Published

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

So I left the ED about 6ish months ago due to unit drama, commute issues and some burn out. I had planned on getting into an ICU training program at the hospital I transferred to by being an internal candidate. I wanted to try a different specialty, expand my knowledge of pathophysiology and ICU knowledge (which I lack). I took a job on a surgical step-down unit. Anyway, my plan failed because they aren't opening anything until our hospital transfers to a new hospital which will require rebidding for jobs based on Union seniority. I had initially scoped out the ER and spoke with the manager who was interested in hiring me but only had NOC shifts and variable shifts which I can't do-literally can't sleep during the day despite meds.

To make a long story short, I was offered a job in another ER, but this ER uses a totally different system than I'm used to plus has less support staff. It is a smaller less busy ER though. I do kind of miss it, the variety and craziness and helping the unwanted rejects of society. I would feel like I have made the world a better place at the end of my exhausting days in the ER. I worry that I will be rusty being away and in a different specialty for 6 months. Has anyone ever come back and be able to jump back into the crazy ever-changing madness after being in a slow-paced unit?

I have to make my decision by Monday. The hospital I'd be going to is kind of old and dilapidated, I'd be working mid-shift again (hopefully a day shift would open up again), and they are offering me a retention bonus.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

You should consider going for the job since it seems like you enjoy working in emergency!!! If worse comes to worse and you don't like that particular place, then at least you will feel more comfortable working back in emergency. You could pick up another job in a different emergency department if you don't like it there and you won't have to worry about if you have lost your skills. All the best!

I was out of the ER about 1 & 1/2 years and came back about a month ago. I'm very happy to be back as this is my home but there is something about ER nursing / culture. The same drama queens were still moaning about the same garbage and carrying on the same mindless head games. However, the time away gave me a fresh perspective on work. I go to work, do my job and go home. I don't get sucked into the drama. In fact I very rarely carry on personal conversations with my co-workers as I'm much happier keeping my personal and professional lives seperate

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
So I left the ED about 6ish months ago due to unit drama, commute issues and some burn out. I had planned on getting into an ICU training program at the hospital I transferred to by being an internal candidate. I wanted to try a different specialty, expand my knowledge of pathophysiology and ICU knowledge (which I lack). I took a job on a surgical step-down unit. Anyway, my plan failed because they aren't opening anything until our hospital transfers to a new hospital which will require rebidding for jobs based on Union seniority. I had initially scoped out the ER and spoke with the manager who was interested in hiring me but only had NOC shifts and variable shifts which I can't do-literally can't sleep during the day despite meds.

To make a long story short, I was offered a job in another ER, but this ER uses a totally different system than I'm used to plus has less support staff. It is a smaller less busy ER though. I do kind of miss it, the variety and craziness and helping the unwanted rejects of society. I would feel like I have made the world a better place at the end of my exhausting days in the ER. I worry that I will be rusty being away and in a different specialty for 6 months. Has anyone ever come back and be able to jump back into the crazy ever-changing madness after being in a slow-paced unit?

I have to make my decision by Monday. The hospital I'd be going to is kind of old and dilapidated, I'd be working mid-shift again (hopefully a day shift would open up again), and they are offering me a retention bonus.

Not a night shift! Retention bonus! Smaller hospital where you could ramp up those skills again. Sounds like a winner to me.

I'm saying this in the kindest way possible: please don't confuse your work with your passion for humanity and doing good in the world. Meaning - work is work. It's a bonus when you have great people around you, but it's really work. If you have a need to do good for people - and it sounds like you do - consider volunteering at your place of worship or at a community clinic, or at your animal shelter. I found working at our local "free clinic" to be deeply gratifying for many reasons. Good luck!

I worry that I will be rusty being away and in a different specialty for 6 months. Has anyone ever come back and be able to jump back into the crazy ever-changing madness after being in a slow-paced unit?

Eh...I'm pretty sure that, with the exception of learning the charting system, it'll be like riding a bike.

You'll still know a sick person when you see one.

Let us know what you decided!

Good luck ~

I work in an outpatient setting and we have drama queens. They are EVERYWHERE!

+ Add a Comment