Is school nursing stressful?

Specialties School

Updated:   Published

I am thinking about school nursing and was wondering if you would consider it 'stressful' on a daily basis ( besides medical emergencies)? I have 12 years varied experience and the last two jobs have been very stressful ( doctors rushing to get pt to OR, very time sensitive situations etc) and I am looking for something that is not stressful on a daily basis. I can handle being busy and working hard but without the pressure cooker sensation. I am thinking of shadowing a school nurse if I can to get a better idea of ' a day in the life of..'. I also have 3 elementary- school aged kids so also having a similar schedule is enticing.thanks for any insight!!

I worked psych the last 19 years and I am still on PRN. the last 2 years I have been school nurse in middle school. Personally I don't think its stressful not compared to psych nursing. I have always been good at time management and organizational skills so I always have my IEP 504s etc done a head of time. I still get yelled at and threaten by parents but honestly that is nothing compared to working on the psych unit. It doesn't even bother me to know I am only medical professional in building of 750 students and 100 staff because I know I can call 911 if needed.

Thank you for sharing! Seems like a different kind of stress... good food for thought :)

Specializes in kids.

Been here for 24 years, the hardest job I have ever loved. You DO build relationships with kids and families. And then sometimes kids get sick... really sick. And you are the only go-to person in the building. We really do take care of the whole child/family.

I wouldn't do anything else.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
blueindigo79 said:
Thank you for sharing! Seems like a different kind of stress... good food for thought ?

Most days I love it. And the days I don't...I still leave at 3:15 and don't take anything with me when I go!

I would say its stressful for different reasons like teachers trying to make you call about a student's behavior because they don't think they are taking their meds(but will never call themselves because they are "too busy")

Specializes in School nursing.
NutmeggeRN said:
Been here for 24 years, the hardest job I have ever loved. You DO build relationships with kids and families. And then sometimes kids get sick... really sick. And you are the only go-to person in the building. We really do take care of the whole child/family.

I wouldn't do anything else.

Me either! And I've only been doing it for 5 years and change :).

Though I will admit what is stressing my out a bit was attending an AMAZING emergency preparedness PD and realizing how under-prepared my school is for such an event. And getting there will be long and trying. But I am also psyched about being part of that process.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
JenTheSchoolRN said:
Me either! And I've only been doing it for 5 years and change :).

Though I will admit what is stressing my out a bit was attending an AMAZING emergency preparedness PD and realizing how under-prepared my school is for such an event. And getting there will be long and trying. But I am also psyched about being part of that process.

No doubt.

Our district is in the planning stage for a joint mass casualty training session as we get back together for next school year; EMS, fire, police, sheriff dept, state police, Coast Guard, AND SCHOOL NURSES! FINALLY! Should be very interesting and informative.

Specializes in kids.
zombieghoast said:
I would say its stressful for different reasons like teachers trying to make you call about a student's behavior because they don't think they are taking their meds(but will never call themselves because they are "too busy")

Our Governer just formed a school safety commission and guess who was NOT represented....school nurses! The Commish of Education has pushed back on funding the School Nurse Consultant position....legislators don't want us certified...blah!

Specializes in School nursing.
NutmeggeRN said:
Our Governer just formed a school safety commission and guess who was NOT represented....school nurses! The Commish of Education has pushed back on funding the School Nurse Consultant position....legislators don't want us certified...blah!

They had a safety meeting at my school and I was, of course, not invited. I did point this out to my boss after pointing out how many things we don't do. My boss is on my side so hopefully this will get fixed...

Specializes in kids.
JenTheSchoolRN said:
They had a safety meeting at my school and I was, of course, not invited. I did point this out to my boss after pointing out how many things we don't do. My boss is on my side so hopefully this will get fixed...

Good luck! I ticked off the Emergency Coordinator in our building years ago so the MS nurse sits in on the meeting.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.
NutmeggeRN said:

But you'll certainly be expected to get out in the aftermath and tend to the injured...or worse!

Specializes in kids.
But you'll certainly be expected to get out in the aftermath and tend to the injured...or worse!!!

Yuppers!

+ Add a Comment