Will I be approved with BON if I am diagnosed with "Unspecific Depression"

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi y'all. Im in Texas. and I am a nursing student right now. I am diagnosed with depression (unspecific) and acute stress.

So I wonder that I should check "no" to all of following these :

"

• *Within the past five (5) years have you been diagnosed with, treated, or hospitalized for schizophrenia and/or a psychotic disorder, bipolar disorder, paranoid personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or borderline personality disorder? (You may answer "No" if you have completed and/or are in compliance with TPAPN for mental illness OR you've previously disclosed to the Texas Board of Nursing and have remained compliant with your treatment regimen and have had no further hospitalization since disclosure)

Due to the fact that they did not mention "depression". So I just worry that if depression history will prevent me from being approved by BON Texas? Please give me advices!

Thank you

Here is the website which maybe can answer your question. Welcome to TPAPN - Texas Nurses Association

Specializes in PICU, Sedation/Radiology, PACU.

The BON asks about these disorders specifically for a reason. They do not ask you to disclose depression or any mental health diagnosis. If you have not been diagnosed with those specific disorders, you would answer "No."

Nobody here can speak for the Texas BON.

Depression isn't listed, so I wouldn't report it.

Specializes in PICU, Sedation/Radiology, PACU.
Nobody here can speak for the Texas BON.

The question speaks for itself. If the Texas BON wanted to know about depression diagnoses, they would ask. If you've gotten a speeding ticket and an application question asks about misdemeanor convictions, do you feel obligated to check "yes"? The questions need to be answered honestly but OP isn't required to extrapolate.

Specializes in Pedi.

The question doesn't ask anything about depression. If you have not been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, a personality disorder or a psychotic disorder, your answer to this question is no.

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

Unless you'd like to have a restriction on your license, and if you'd rather not go through a 3 to 5 year program with the BON, do NOT answer this question. Your medical history is private. The BON is not your friend. Do not tell them anything they do not need to know.

Depression doesn't fall into any of those so I would answer the question no.

+ Add a Comment