Is Pediatrics for me?

Specialties Pediatric

Published

My goal has always been to work as a pediatric nurse. I finally landed a job after many years of trying. I should be super excited but I am finding that I miss my adult patients. Can pediatrics grow on you? I didn't like working in dialysis when I started but after about a year it grew on me. That is the department I am working in with children. How do you know if something is a good fit for you? Should I give it a year? The place that I am working was really hard to get into and I should feel super blessed but am struggling.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

Only you can know how you are feeling about that...I was ready to finish nursing school and walk away until my last semester which was pediatrics and realized that was for me; I haven't worked anything since. If I had to go to adult nursing, and I've posted this before, I'd instead try to go to work on one of those Bering Sea crab boats like on Deadliest Catch or apply as a semen extractor on a turkey farm. Best of luck to you!!

Specializes in Pedi.
Only you can know how you are feeling about that...I was ready to finish nursing school and walk away until my last semester which was pediatrics and realized that was for me; I haven't worked anything since. If I had to go to adult nursing, and I've posted this before, I'd instead try to go to work on one of those Bering Sea crab boats like on Deadliest Catch or apply as a semen extractor on a turkey farm. Best of luck to you!!

I'd rather scoop ice cream than work with adults. That's how I know pediatrics is and will always be for me. 11 years and 5 jobs in and I can't imagine ever choosing to switch to adults. I did submit my resume for 2 adult positions earlier this year basically just to see if my resume would generate interest but, when both positions offered me interviews, I turned them down because I had 4 good pedi prospects at that point and knew I'd never choose an adult job.

Specializes in School Nursing.

I didn't want to work with kids at all during nursing school, including during clinical. First job I could get with no experience was with kids for 2 months, I took it and LOVED it. Completely surprised me, and I've done almost nothing but pediatrics since.

I think all jobs are hit/miss. I've had pediatric populations I didn't jive with, despite loving it in general.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU.

Like other posters have said, only you know if it's for you or not. If it isn't for you, that's okay! Do what feels right.

I always knew I wanted to do pediatrics, so if I had to do adults as a nurse I would have went into a completely different career.

+ Add a Comment