Applicants to Los Angeles County College of Nursing and Allied Health Fall 2018

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

I have applied two times to the generic program and now I am applying into the bridge program for Fall 2018. Is there anyone else who is applying into either the generic or bridge program at County? If so, would you like to keep in touch so we can help each other? :cat:

Congrats ladiesí ¼í¾Š That is so awesomeí ¼í¾Ší ¼í¾‰. Thanks for taking time to update us. Do you guys have any idea what the cut off is for the generic program this year?

1 Votes
Specializes in Med-Surg.

Thank you Grace31! No, they haven't said anything about the generic program yet. I'm sure you will start getting notified soon.

Congrats ladies������ That is so awesome������������. Thanks for taking time to update us. Do you guys have any idea what the cut off is for the generic program this year?

Just got an email, the cut off this year is 80 points.

1 Votes
Specializes in Medical-Surgical.

Wow! The cutoff has certainly gone out the roof. The cutoff for the bridge program was also high. It went to 83 points I believe. Yes, Laura and I both made it in this year! Yuppiiee :happy: One thing I didn't know was that there are some students who are returning; therefore, they take up the spots that otherwise would have been for new applicants. For example, in our N-125 class, there are at least two students who for some reason or another had to drop out of 3rd semester and are being given the opportunity to come back to finish the program. Congrats to those who were accepted into the generic program. We will see you around campus I'm sure. Let's enjoy these few days we have left before we dive in :geek:

Just got an email, the cut off this year is 80 points.
1 Votes

Do any of the additional classes (i.e. Speech, History, Humanities, etc.) you take AFTER you get accepted into the generic program count towards your total points when you apply for the Bridge program?

Specializes in Med-Surg.
21 minutes ago, Yeppy said:

Do any of the additional classes (i.e. Speech, History, Humanities, etc.) you take AFTER you get accepted into the generic program count towards your total points when you apply for the Bridge program?

Whatever you have in your transcripts when you apply to either program (Generic/Bridge) is what will count.

1 Votes
Specializes in Med-Surg.

It's been a while since I've taken the time to update this thread. I apologize, but this program is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I knew it wasn't gonna be easy, but I never expected it to be so hard. I am currently in 3rd semester. I did my bridge program over the summer of 2018, and started 3rd semester this past January. So far, I am passing all my classes. I have finished my Med-Surg rotation and I am starting my Psych rotating this Tuesday, March 26, 2019. I started on the wrong foot thinking I could work (32 hours every weekend), but soon realized it was either the money, or finishing my semester successfully. Since I worked so hard to make it in, I chose my education so I am currently not working at all. I am doing better now, thank God! Passing two of my lectures with Bs and one with a C. It is sad to see how you try and try, and you still aren't able to get the As you were used to. Still, I am trying to better my grades. I know I can get at least one A so I will try harder until the end of the semester. Hope you guys are hanging in there. Take care ?

1 Votes
On 3/23/2019 at 12:42 PM, VNLaura said:

It's been a while since I've taken the time to update this thread. I apologize, but this program is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I knew it wasn't gonna be easy, but I never expected it to be so hard. I am currently in 3rd semester. I did my bridge program over the summer of 2018, and started 3rd semester this past January. So far, I am passing all my classes. I have finished my Med-Surg rotation and I am starting my Psych rotating this Tuesday, March 26, 2019. I started on the wrong foot thinking I could work (32 hours every weekend), but soon realized it was either the money, or finishing my semester successfully. Since I worked so hard to make it in, I chose my education so I am currently not working at all. I am doing better now, thank God! Passing two of my lectures with Bs and one with a C. It is sad to see how you try and try, and you still aren't able to get the As you were used to. Still, I am trying to better my grades. I know I can get at least one A so I will try harder until the end of the semester. Hope you guys are hanging in there. Take care ?

Hello VN Laura

thank you for all the information. I am real nervous I got accepted into the bridge program that starts June. Do you have any other tips for the transition program and the 3rd semester? They said I’m on the wait list to start in fall 2019 but have a secured spot In Spring 2020. Do you know how they determine who has a spot into the fall semester? Or when do they say if you have a spot into fall 2019? Thank you any information or tips are really appreciated. Thank you again.

Specializes in Med-Surg.
On 4/5/2019 at 5:38 PM, Lpnurse323 said:

Hello VN Laura

thank you for all the information. I am real nervous I got accepted into the bridge program that starts June. Do you have any other tips for the transition program and the 3rd semester? They said I’m on the wait list to start in fall 2019 but have a secured spot In Spring 2020. Do you know how they determine who has a spot into the fall semester? Or when do they say if you have a spot into fall 2019? Thank you any information or tips are really appreciated. Thank you again.

Tips for the transition program:

1. Start practicing skills as soon as the school allows you to use the skills lab. The faster you are able to perform them on the floor, the more time you will have to do everything else that needs to be done. This goes for all semesters as well. Know which skills you are required to know and make sure you are mastering them by the time your Med-Surg rotation starts. Do not wait until you are on the floor to learn to do any skill. Prepare for all the skills ahead of time.

2. Do not discard any topic. For example, I didn't really study for the Ethics topic thinking that it was common sense. There were a lot of questions on that topic during the 2nd exam and I almost failed it because I didn't prepare for it thoroughly. Remember that you have to successfully pass N-125 (Transition) in order to go on to 3rd semester so make sure you pass all of the exams and quizzes during the Transition program and do not discard any topics that is being covered.

3. Start practicing for the DDCC (Drug Dosage Calculation Competency) exam now. Review all your measurements (including household), and make sure you are mastering your Math by the time you take the DDCC. One of my classmates didn't pass the first try. By the time she took the retake, she was so nervous knowing if she didn't pass this time she was done, that she failed it again even though she had prepared for it well. She is currently waiting to redo the class this year.

Lastly, about the waiting list for the Fall. None of us who were in the waiting list to start in the Fall of 2018 made it. There was at least one student who decided to wait until the Spring so she released her place in the Fall of 2018, and nobody got it. So, don't count on making it in for the Fall of 2019 if you haven't already made it in. If you do, then let it be a nice surprise, but don't count on it. Just prepare to start in the Spring of 2020. Hope this helps. Congratulations on making it in. Welcome to County!

19 minutes ago, VNLaura said:

Tips for the transition program:

1. Start practicing skills as soon as the school allows you to use the skills lab. The faster you are able to perform them on the floor, the more time you will have to do everything else that needs to be done. This goes for all semesters as well. Know which skills you are required to know and make sure you are mastering them by the time your Med-Surg rotation starts. Do not wait until you are on the floor to learn to do any skill. Prepare for all the skills ahead of time.

2. Do not discard any topic. For example, I didn't really study for the Ethics topic thinking that it was common sense. There were a lot of questions on that topic during the 2nd exam and I almost failed it because I didn't prepare for it thoroughly. Remember that you have to successfully pass N-125 (Transition) in order to go on to 3rd semester so make sure you pass all of the exams and quizzes during the Transition program and do not discard any topics that is being covered.

3. Start practicing for the DDCC (Drug Dosage Calculation Competency) exam now. Review all your measurements (including household), and make sure you are mastering your Math by the time you take the DDCC. One of my classmates didn't pass the first try. By the time she took the retake, she was so nervous knowing if she didn't pass this time she was done, that she failed it again even though she had prepared for it well. She is currently waiting to redo the class this year.

Lastly, about the waiting list for the Fall. None of us who were in the waiting list to start in the Fall of 2018 made it. There was at least one student who decided to wait until the Spring so she released her place in the Fall of 2018, and nobody got it. So, don't count on making it in for the Fall of 2019 if you haven't already made it in. If you do, then let it be a nice surprise, but don't count on it. Just prepare to start in the Spring of 2020. Hope this helps. Congratulations on making it in. Welcome to County!

Thank you so much for taking your time to give me some tips. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.

1 Votes

Did you guys have an interview last year for the generic program?

50 minutes ago, Le97 said:

Did you guys have an interview last year for the generic program?

No, this is this first year they are doing interviews.

+ Add a Comment