Something Positive!

Nurses Recovery

Published

I've been blowing up this board lately, but I promise, this will be my last thread for a while.

I just got the official news that my key restriction has been lifted as of today! The new contract is in my inbox!! One year after entering monitoring and six months TO THE DAY after starting my first nursing job in recovery, my key restriction is now lifted.

I never expected to feel such relief. No more asking coworkers to pull and give my narcs, no more explaining to floats or new nurses why I can't deal with narcs, no more patients having to wait for another nurse to free up give them their controlled meds. As of today, I can fully do my job as independently as any other nurse in the hospital.

For the first time in a long time, I feel proud of myself. I took myself down with a nearly fatal addiction, destroyed most everything in my life, obliterated my self-esteem, annihilated trust...but I've been climbing this mountain of recovery, earning my life back one day at a time, and now I'm at a day that I never thought I'd get to. I did it! I decided to get and stay clean, decided to fight for my license, and now there is finally a blip of light at the end of this really long tunnel.

Thank you for supporting me and thank you for letting me share. This is just incredible.

Eris

Congratulations!

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

Congratulations on your progress!

Yay! This is the point when you start to feel less like a lowlife scumbag and start to feel more like a person entitled to at least a tiny amount of respect and courtesy. This is when you get a small amount of your life back, when the fact that you're in monitoring does not come slap you in the face over and over every day. It's almost like life settles down to sort of normal. Sure we still have the daily check ins as a reminder, but that's a small thing that takes only seconds and is done privately. Totally different than the narc restrictions where you have to get other people involved, and thus have to deal with the shame constantly. And ok yeah we've still got the monthly and quarterly reporting, not to mention the tests, but still, this one thing, not having to ask others to give our narcs, is HUGE to help with the constant hit to the ego. Congratulations!

Specializes in Med/Surg, Women's Health, LTC.

Congratulations, Eris!

Very happy for you. Stay strong and positive!

Congrats! I remember the feeling. Independence!!!!

Specializes in Psych, Addictions, SOL (Student of Life).
I've been blowing up this board lately, but I promise, this will be my last thread for a while.

I just got the official news that my key restriction has been lifted as of today! The new contract is in my inbox!! One year after entering monitoring and six months TO THE DAY after starting my first nursing job in recovery, my key restriction is now lifted.

I never expected to feel such relief. No more asking coworkers to pull and give my narcs, no more explaining to floats or new nurses why I can't deal with narcs, no more patients having to wait for another nurse to free up give them their controlled meds. As of today, I can fully do my job as independently as any other nurse in the hospital.

For the first time in a long time, I feel proud of myself. I took myself down with a nearly fatal addiction, destroyed most everything in my life, obliterated my self-esteem, annihilated trust...but I've been climbing this mountain of recovery, earning my life back one day at a time, and now I'm at a day that I never thought I'd get to. I did it! I decided to get and stay clean, decided to fight for my license, and now there is finally a blip of light at the end of this really long tunnel.

Thank you for supporting me and thank you for letting me share. This is just incredible.

Eris

"I've got keys that jingle jangle jingle as I walk down the hospital hall"

Congrats

Hppy

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
Yay! This is the point when you start to feel less like a lowlife scumbag and start to feel more like a person entitled to at least a tiny amount of respect and courtesy. This is when you get a small amount of your life back, when the fact that you're in monitoring does not come slap you in the face over and over every day. It's almost like life settles down to sort of normal. Sure we still have the daily check ins as a reminder, but that's a small thing that takes only seconds and is done privately. Totally different than the narc restrictions where you have to get other people involved, and thus have to deal with the shame constantly. And ok yeah we've still got the monthly and quarterly reporting, not to mention the tests, but still, this one thing, not having to ask others to give our narcs, is HUGE to help with the constant hit to the ego. Congratulations!

All y'all have my respect for getting up every day and moving forward.

And congratulations! This is one of many happy moments for you on your way, and I'm glad you shared it.

Specializes in Medical Telemetry, SICU.

Congratulations to your progress and recovery!

YAY YAY YAY!!!

I recently went back to the ER again and feel like a nurse again. Bless you all for your much needed support

I'm new to this message board as far as commenting goes, but I have been following your journey for a while. Congratulations!!!! I know this was a really hard won journey for you!

Mimi

Specializes in Med/Surg.

Congratulations!

+ Add a Comment