Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in LTC.

Without getting into too much detail:

I've had 3 jobs.

1. Assisted living facility: Fired after 2 years

2. Clinic: Quit after 3 months

3. Assistant living facility: Fired after 3 months

My resume looks bad. I wanted to not include my last job but when recruiters ask what I did during those 3 months, i reallly don't know what to say. I really don't want to discuss why I got fired (you can view my post to see how bad of a nursing I am).

At at my Core, I love my job and feel that with all the lessons I've learned, I will be a great fit someone else if given the opportunity. I am working for an agency as a per diem nurse and my job was cancelled this morning. I am afraid of not being able to pay my bills.

Thanks to to all in advance

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Hard to help you, without more details etc.

Specializes in LTC.
Hard to help you, without more details etc.

What details do you need

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

The issues, ( not specifics)

I'm not being a nosey body....... I just want you to benefit from my 45.5 yrs of being RN,

I want to give you the best advice, if. I can help you

Best wishes, Sally

ps: I've always learned best from my prior mistakes...

Specializes in Allergy and Immunology.

LPNewbie,

Sorry you are having such a hard time.

The first step in moving forward from your mistakes is to accept responsibility. It sounds like you have done that.

Secondly, reflect on the mistakes made and figure out where you went wrong.

Work on your confidence. You made it through nursing school, so you obviously possess the knowledge of nursing basics. You are not dumb. So quit telling yourself that. It does nothing for your confidence and is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Perhaps, you could look into taking a refresher course. Read and re-read your nursing texts in the basics... charting/documentation, medication administration, injections and so on...

Watch YouTube videos.

Get your anxiety under control. I have performance anxiety and there were a few times it almost cost me... I would think so hard about all the steps to do a certain procedure right, that I would almost always make a mistake. I have not overcome this by no means, but I do everything I can to learn about whatever procedure or subject that I feel anxious about.

Keep applying for jobs. Maybe you need something less fast paced so you can learn the basics of being a nurse. Unfortunately, this type of position may be hard to come by.

You could try:

Private Duty Nursing-where you only have like 1 client.

Assisted Living

Corrections

Also, look into finding a nursing mentor. Someone you trust that can be open and honest with you about your progress and incompetencies.

If your dream is to be a good nurse, make sure you fully accept responsibility and do all that you can to rectify your mistakes. You worked hard for that license...now you need to work even harder, to keep it!

Good luck.

Specializes in Geriatrics w/rehab, LTC, hospice patient.

Why did you quit the clinic job? Could you go back?

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi,

I have to be honest after reading your threads I think it may be time for you to change careers, as it doesn't sound like maybe nursing is for you. I know it's a harsh thing to say, but that is just my opinion.

Annie

You are obviously not unhirable, if an agency is putting you to work. Agency work is a great way to network.

You will get canceled frequently, so sign on with several agencies.

Best wishes.

Specializes in LTC.

Thank you for your advice. I know my confidence isn't good and I will do my best to be my best. I just feel like with all of my firings, employers wont give me a chance anymore. I don't want to lie but I need a job.

Specializes in LTC.

Thanks, friend. I was cancelled this morning and wished I had signed on with another agency as well.

Specializes in LTC.

Nothing is right for you as I've been fired and failed at everything I try. I am totally useless to everyone

Specializes in LTC.

I just didn't like it. I missed geriatrics

+ Add a Comment