Tell me about high school nursing

Specialties School

Published

Our HS nurse is leaving us...she's amazing. :cry:

I'm currently in an elementary school, but half considering the change - mainly because I have one (my oldest) entering HS next year and I think it would be nice to keep tabs on what's going on there. But also because I am getting a little bored here. My school is small and there are few kiddos with any medical issues. Most days I only see a handful of kids.

I'm torn. Tell me about your typical day (if there is such a thing) & things unique to high school nursing.

My favorite part of high school nursing is actually the health teaching I do. I'm currently teaching sex education to my 10th graders and I love it. This is the age where this teaching is actually most rewarding.

However, it does mean I also have more students willing to open up re: sexual health issues and pregnancy issues. These are protected conversations in my state (no sure what your state guidelines are). But I've had students need pregnancy tests, Plan B, and/or STI testing. I have a great local teen health clinic I can refer to thankfully.

Also - concussions. So many concussions with school sports. I don't have to track down physicals for sports - our AD does it (and gives me copies for my files; win-win).

And high school student never get enough sleep. Ever.

This.

And I wouldn't work anywhere else.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Can you get a do-over if you don't like it when you change?

I will also add - if you do move, you will become an excellent historian. You will have to ask "can you tell me anything else about this" approximately 5x before you get an answer but you will eventually get the answer. Also teens don't throw up on your shoes.

Finally, we had a drill for "code blue" (initiate CPR) - and two kids heard the drill code blue and came to help because they knew CPR. For reals!!! Teenagers are awesome.

Specializes in School nursing.
Can you get a do-over if you don't like it when you change?

I will also add - if you do move, you will become an excellent historian. You will have to ask "can you tell me anything else about this" approximately 5x before you get an answer but you will eventually get the answer. Also teens don't throw up on your shoes.

Finally, we had a drill for "code blue" (initiate CPR) - and two kids heard the drill code blue and came to help because they knew CPR. For reals!!! Teenagers are awesome.

They really are. Right before February break at my school, the health class I took discussed gender roles (specifically stereotypes for girls and guys that have sex/do not have sex) and the points made blew my mind. And some students disagreed with each in a peaceful way.

Sometimes we don't give teens enough credit. We have some other students organizing/discussing the walk out that might be happening nationally in a couple of weeks in a mature way I'm not sure I was capable of when I was that age.

Oh, and some teaching sticks. And I love being able to tell them like it is and even call some students out on the reason they are seeing me and getting them to admit I was right. The growth between 9th and 12th grade can also be huge and wonderful to see.

Specializes in kids.

High School. All day Every day!!! I love these kids and it has been the hardest job I have ever loved.

FWIW, regardless of your politics, the kids in Parkland, Florida give me hope for the future.

They are hurt and they are angry and they ARE going to effect change. They are the next generation of voters and change is coming.

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

[quote=NutmeggeRN;9753160

They are hurt and they are angry and they ARE going to effect change. They are the next generation of voters and change is coming.

Remember, their parents and grandparents were the ones who couldn't fill out a ballot. Just sayin':roflmao:

Specializes in ED, School Nurse.

Oh, and some teaching sticks. And I love being able to tell them like it is and even call some students out on the reason they are seeing me and getting them to admit I was right. The growth between 9th and 12th grade can also be huge and wonderful to see.

This is my favorite part of being a HS nurse. :)

Specializes in School Nursing, Home Health.

Pads, lot and lots of pads. I got to the point once I just kept a big box of pads on a table in my office and the girls would just come and get one whenever I was with another student and didn't want to ask. lol. Also concussions - I just send them home/to doctor if this is the case, and we have an athletic trainer that can see muscle related injuries if they are swollen or bruised.

I love the fact that you could be really honest with them and not have to sugar coat things. My motto is "no fever, not actively vomiting then you stay in school".

I also look at attendance to see if they are absent a lot, if they are, I do my best to keep them in school, if they aren't absent as much, I cut them some slack.

I'm glad I don't have to teach sex-ed in my district, because, well, they are still kids.

+ Add a Comment