Degree required?

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Masters or Doctorate?

Keep it straightforward with the answer please.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Either (you said 'required' not 'desired')

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.
Masters or Doctorate?

Keep it straightforward with the answer please.

Lol, gotta love a question on an open forum with a caveat for responders.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.
Lol, gotta love a question on an open forum with a caveat for responders.

Hey, at least we got a 'please' this time!

Specializes in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP (PMHNP).

You are not providing enough information for much of an answer.

Currently, an MSN is required to be an NP. A DNP is not required and the consensus opinion is that it is a long time, if ever, before it will be a requirement. Even if it became a requirement, practicing NPs would be "grandfathered" in.

It depends. I choose the DNP option because I wanted more clinical instruction. However, you gotta do an asinine CAPSTONE project and other busy work to go along with it. I don't know if I would do the DNP again

Specializes in Varied.

I am applying for a school who does not currently have approval for the BSN-DNP program. During the application process I was asked to state whether or not I intended on pursuing my DNP, but it was not required.

It's about you. Some roles are going to require a DNP, but standard practicing NPs aren't likely going to need it for a LONG, LONG time.

Masters... a DNP does not get you anything additional...

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.

Either an MSN or a DNP is required to be a APN.

It depends. I choose the DNP option because I wanted more clinical instruction. However, you gotta do an asinine CAPSTONE project and other busy work to go along with it. I don't know if I would do the DNP again

Majority of DNP programs do not add on any more clinical than the MSN portion. Because of this I won't consider it until it includes a pay raise or additional clinical based courses.

+ Add a Comment