Clinical nurse educators...

Specialties Educators

Published

At our hospital the nurse educator is considered "leadership " along with managers and directors. The educator plugs in to staffing and charges as well. Because of inconsistencies between units they are reevaluating if educators should take weekend call.

I accepted this role (just 3 months ago) without that expectation. Now I'm about to be presented with the new job description to include taking call on weekends. Do unit clinical educators at your facility take call? Do they staff and charge regularly?

Specializes in OB, Women’s health, Educator, Leadership.

No they do not

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

Staffing? If the unit is critically staffed, then yes - even the directors will roll up their shirt sleeves. Call? No.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

We fill in on staffing when the flu hits the fan, but we do not take a patient assignment. We help run meds, get vitals, toilet patients, take patients in PACU and the like. We do not serve on call. I could not. I live over 40 minutes away from my facility.

No call. Our unit educators have taken patients maybe twice in two years (critical care areas). Both times have been for only a few hours, until more staff nurses could come in.

Specializes in OB/L&D/ patho.

No, nor do they work holidays or weekends OR take call!

Are you paid hourly or salary???

yes, hourly pay.

Thanks so much!

+ Add a Comment