RN licence surrender vs suspension

Nurses Recovery

Published

I I am an RN and have been on probation for the last year and 3 months due to a drug screen positive I have been in complete compliance and fortunately I recently had a positive urine drug screen I have the choice of either voluntarily surrender my license within the next few days or going before the board which would likely involve suspension what should I do?

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

Consult a lawyer familiar with nursing licensure. TAANA is a good option.

I would not just surrender my license. Each state is different. In Texas I have seen nurses start contract over, get a suspension, sometimes a stay on their suspension up to revocation depending on the circumstances. Consulting an attorney is great if you can pay for it. There is an algorithm on the board website, but they can be more lenient depending on circumstances. One thing you might do for sure is not use your real name on here. Believe it or not investigators, and others search this forum just like we do. I see where nurses on your situation are ordered back into treatment, meetings, so continue documenting those. Good luck.

Yeah I agree with Blonde. I wouldn't just surrender my license. Get a lawyer if you can afford it at all. If that's not possible go in front of the board and make a case for yourself as I don't see you really have anything to lose

Specializes in OR.

Ditto with Spanked and Blonde on the advice. Also with Blonde's advice on not using your real name.

Is there a way to change her name on here? I didn't think we could.

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.
Is there a way to change her name on here? I didn't think we could.

It can be done I believe once a year? Under settings or contact the help desk.

Thanks everyone for the advice I'm going to take my chances with the board hearing with or without a laywer. And as for the name its made up

Specializes in 15 years in ICU, 22 years in PACU.
I I am an RN and have been on probation for the last year and 3 months due to a drug screen positive I have been in complete compliance and fortunately I recently had a positive urine drug screen I have the choice of either voluntarily surrender my license within the next few days or going before the board which would likely involve suspension what should I do?

I am not following this sentence.

OP fortunately had a positive drug screen indicating she is using drugs but claims she is in complete compliance which should mean she is NOT using drugs.

Specializes in OR.

I suspect the word was a typo and was supposed to be "unfortunately." However, I did also pick up of the disconnect between ‘complete compliance' and ‘positive drug screen.'

One either is or is not "in complete compliance" with these things. A positive drug screen would indicate not in compliance. Sadly, Fortune has nothing to do with it.

My sponsor, back in the day (years ago), was told by her lawyer to surrender her license because they knew she was getting a year suspension either way and her lawyer said it would start on the day she surrendered her license or it would start the day of the BON hearing if she didn't surrender her license. I guess she wasn't working anyway and in treatment so she did surrender her license. I'm sure we're in a different state though and I'm not saying that one way is better than the other but this could be the rationale why some people choose to surrender.

I made my life very difficult by surrendering my license in 2010. I was so ashamed of what I had done, I basically acted like it never happened. That was not the best solution, as 5 years later my family, etc. found out. In 2013 I went before the board and got my license reinstated, but had I not voluntarily surrendered I probably wouldn't have to have gone through the whole process. However, I went through extensive treatment before getting my license reinstated. This made getting through TPAPN much easier.

Hope this helps!

+ Add a Comment