Manager out to get me. Even shift coord. agrees.

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I have been an RN for a year on a med-surg unit, and in that year, somehow I have managed to sick the venom of my clinical manager upon myself.

I love my job. I *always* try to do the right thing and I genuinely love and care about my patients. I have had several 20+ year nurses tell me they see I am a good nurse.

Because I'm new, I have experienced the typical "learning opportunities" every other nurse has experienced, and they have been few and far between.

I have learned via one of the shift coordinators that my clinical manager wants to put me on a corrective action plan. This shift coordinator has agreed that my manager is fishing for things and that they don't hold water.

My manager has made my every waking moment at work a living hell. I no longer enjoy coming to work because I am constantly in fear of making even small mistakes, afraid my manager will use them as ammunition to fire me.

I wish I could be more specific, but any more specificity would be identifiable.

What do I do? Who do I turn to? This is so wrong and I'm terrified.

Specializes in Clinical Leadership, Staff Development, Education.

It is possible you could be "fortune-telling" or reading into the situation. I would start with approaching your manager and talk 1:1 about the situation. Just let the manager know you have been told correction plan being developed and would like to discuss concerns. Be careful rushing to "what ifs" without knowing the full story. Good luck!

Without knowing details, it's difficult to know if the scrutiny is deserved, but either way, I'd suggest you start looking for a new job. If the manager is out to get you, she's going to get you.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
My manager has made my every waking moment at work a living hell. I no longer enjoy coming to work because I am constantly in fear of making even small mistakes, afraid my manager will use them as ammunition to fire me.

I was in a similar situation about 15 years ago, could read the writing on the wall that my supervisor was looking for a way to get rid of me, so I got proactive.

I did not play the part of the victim. I looked for another job and meanwhile carried on. I was terminated, got a good severance package, got unemployment benefits, and went on a trip, came back and started a new position at $8,000 a year over my last one.

Being fired from a job is not the worst thing in the world. I've been fired three times in my career, and after two of them, I got better positions.

Do not play the victim, Axman. Do your job, do it well, and let the Fates have their way.

But be prepared.

The best to you.

You have no choice in this matter. The manager wants you out and.. out will you go. Find another job, using a different reference.

Better jobs await you. Best wishes.

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Step one is to stop talking to the shift coordinator or anyone else about this. Trust me, that is not a confidential conversation and it doesn't do anything to build your case and definitely doesn't do anything to build your confidence. It is natural to want someone to validate what you think you are seeing, but doing so only results in more anxiety, so stop it. This is not an appropriate conversation to have with anyone other than your manager.

Step two is to take charge of your own destiny and start looking for another job. There is no need to be terrified. Right in this moment you hold all the cards and there is nothing like getting called for interviews to help battle insecurity. The fact of the matter is, whether your manager is looking to force you out or not, you are unhappy and paranoid - not good for your patients and definitely not good for you. Go find a better situation. Do it now. If the manager wants you out, you will be out. If they don't but you think they do, you are miserable. Time to go either way. The truth is no longer the point. You don't trust your manager and you believe he or she does not trust you. This is breakup territory. Find another job.

Even if you do get fired, the sun will keep on rising. I wish you well.

Specializes in ICU, LTACH, Internal Medicine.

Been there, had that, and, yes, I think that if one feels targeted and bullied, then he IS targeted and bullied, with all unknown "details".

Speak with those in your unit who treat you well so that you can use them for references. Then bring your 2 weeks note. Then go see your doctor and ask for medical leave note for those 2 weeks due to extreme stress. Then get off your CV and start new job search. And when you settle down there, let everybody know where one shouldn't work and seek medical care if there's a choice.

Being terminated is definitely not the worst thing that ever might happen, but one of the root causes of the workplace bullying is that bullies always feel being on top of the victim. Acting ahead hurts their sense of security and omnipotence.

I've been down this road too. Your manager wants you gone and it will happen no matter what you do. Best to dust off your resume and find a new job. That way you're leaving on your terms not theirs.

Specializes in Pediatrics Retired.

In lieu of hitting your manager in the throat with a shovel, I'd take the above, wise, advise.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
In lieu of hitting your manager in the throat with a shovel, I'd take the above, wise, advise.

Well, Old Dude, OP is not "Shovelman" and an ax would probably do more damage, but ick!

About 20 years ago, I was stabbed with a pair of scissors by a psychotic client in the community and went through about 6 months of Art therapy. Part of my therapy was to draw illustrations to be discussed in therapy sessions.

I drew one picture of an act of incompetence by a non-medical administrator who examined my wounds without gloves. I ended up getting an infection in the largest wound. The infection could have been the result of the scissors, or may have been a result of the examination.

Whatever the case, I was angry with the administrator for her cavalier act and drew a picture of her examining me saying, " **** the gloves and do the paperwork!" (The administrator also had me fill out an incident form after I was released from the ER.)

I apologized to the Art therapist for my use of profanity. She responded with, "Oh no! NEVER apologize for your art! Your art is an expression of your feelings and your feelings should never be judged!"

So, in essence, if Axman did a picture of hitting the manager in the face with a shovel, that would be okay.

In fact, if more people expressed themselves in personal writings and drawings, there'd probably be less drama out there.

But then, on AN.com, we'd only discuss the factual aspects of nursing and what fun would that be?

You may get lucky, there is always a chance that your manager will leave or be fired. I have had a manager before who made it clear I was about 1 incident away from being fired. Fast forward a year, she had been fired, I had a new manager who considered me a model employee, so don't give up to quickly.

An option to brushing up your resume might be to have a private sit down talk with the shift co- ordinator who told you about the correction plan and ask for some really honest advise on your performance and what you can do to be a "better nurse". I'm assuming that she shared this information with you because she likes you and wants to help. If I have that wrong, choose another nurse on your unit who is senior, well regarded and who can be trusted to keep it private.

Keep in mind being "better" isn't always about your knowledge or skills. Sometimes it's just about the best way to fit in with your co-workers or the boss to avoid conflict or being the target of their nastiness.

+ Add a Comment