Fingerprint failure

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I didn't think you could fail "fingerprints", but I did. This was for the State of NC and even though I've had a NC license for years, to work for the state you need to repeat these.

Well, I had the manual ones done and sent them in and the FBI rejected them. Next had the "live" scan at the local Sheriffs and failed those twice.. this is getting rediculous.

I've been an RN for 42+ yrs, worked many of those in the OR but I didn't think we lose our prints ... have any of you experienced this and was it resolved in some way?

Thanks

Specializes in Critical care.

You've been nursing so long the alcohol gel wore your fingerprints out. Talk about worked to the bone!

Specializes in NICU.
You've been nursing so long the alcohol gel wore your fingerprints out. Talk about worked to the bone!

Now I know what I can do after retirement. I can freely commit crimes without worrying about leaving fingerprints.:woot:

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has this problem. I first encountered it when applying for a California nursing license. The lady at the fingerprint kiosk told me that nurses often have poor fingerprints.

It's a nightmare every time I visit my family in Canada because many US border crossings now use a kiosk instead of everyone just talking to an officer. You have to simultaneously place all four fingers on the scanner until you get a green light. I have the worst time. I've told them I'm a nurse and have worn-off fingerprints but I think they just think I'm a kook.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

I had to get fingerprinted THREE TIMES for a job- and where I live you go into the jail for that. Lotion your hands hourly before you go. Hydrate too. That's what finally worked for me.

Fun Fact: I am a true crime/ missing persons nerd- so my family knows where those prints are if needed!

Specializes in Cardio-Pulmonary; Med-Surg; Private Duty.

Try getting your prints done after you've been off work for several days in a row. The break from the constant scrubbing gives them a chance to "grow back".

42+ years is enough....

I have the same problem getting fingerprinted - So far I get away with just lotion, I too cannot use sanitizer, just soap and water.

+ Add a Comment