Stony Brook Accelerated BSN class of 2013

U.S.A. New York

Published

Hey all! Just wanted to lend my support to anyone else who is applying to SB next summer! It's a grueling process :-)):yeah:

Specializes in ICU / PCU / Telemetry / Oncology.

You people are killing me :D

SOLAR is gonna go down because of you guys checking all the time, LOL! Can't wait to hear more news from everyone!

I am typing this on my phone so I will be brief :) You want to try to stand out and be remembered, in the sense that you are bringing something different to the table than most applicants. Stay away from canned and cliché phrases ("I want to help people") and highlight your personal story and personal strengths, in both academia AND as a potential nurse. Show the committee that you are more than just a GPA (no matter how low or high it is). Your recommendations should back up the caliber of a person your essay reflects. That's about it in a nutshell. Kmcg may have a different take on this, since we both bring very different qualities to the program. For starters, she is so much smarter than me!! :D
Haha this is the comment you mentioned! I had to go back several days looking for it, missed it the first time around. =P Thanks for the complement but I beg to differ. One of us went to law school and it wasn't me! (We can continue this debate in class.)

Hope everyone is distracting themselves this weekend and not stressing too much!

This is stinking weed without the euphoric after tones. In truth I cannot even go near the stuff - it gives me an instant headache from being around the smoke!!!

I figured all of you needed to know my intolerance to weed AND lack of SOLAR activity on the part of the SBU peeps-ugh!

Hey everyone! I haven't posted on these boards yet but I have been watching this board on and off for months! I haven't recieved an email or anything on solar saying that I was rejected or otherwise! I'm going crazy waiting to hear anything! They probably won't send anything over the weekend right? Do you think they are done sending out rejection notifications and only acceptance an wait list are left?!? Good luck to the rest of you! Fingers crossed! :)

Hey everyone! I haven't posted on these boards yet but I have been watching this board on and off for months! I haven't recieved an email or anything on solar saying that I was rejected or otherwise! I'm going crazy waiting to hear anything! They probably won't send anything over the weekend right? Do you think they are done sending out rejection notifications and only acceptance an wait list are left?!? Good luck to the rest of you! Fingers crossed! :)

I definitely don't think we'll be hearing anything over the weekend. I'm starting to doubt next week. I keep thinking about what the rhyme or reason is to the way they are sending out notices, but it seems kind of odd to send out rejections before acceptances. I would think they'd at least send them out all at once. Makes me wonder if they did send out acceptances and those people just aren't using this website? Hopefully we'll hear soon!

What an akward refernce to weed lol. Anyways, nendo welcome to the forum, goodluck! And to jenny, supposibly it 's very common for rejections to be handed out first. Not to say that if we haven't heard back that it means we are getting in.I too have been extremely overwhelemed after hearing about the first wave of rejections.... But i have made peace with it, and this is what I have concluded:Hopefully everyone's application is given the same amount of scrutiny and judgement. May everyone have a fair chance at getting in. That the reason for not getting in be based on merit and credentials and not just because your application was *"lost in the pile" of hundreds of applications and quickly looked over and tossed to one side. Dr. * (one of the directors) said at an info session I went to in the fall, *that SB school of nursing prides themselves in the fact that everyone is reviewed carefuly and given that fair chance. If this is indeed true, and I don't make it in, then I will still feel like a CHAMP because I know I gave it my BEST shot at least for this time around. There is ALWAYs room for improvement and if this time my best is not what it takes to get in, then either you try again next year, same place, or somewhere else and maybe at this point in your life, it may not be where you ar supposed to be... And that is OK. We are going to be fine. And as my friend said to me in hopes of cheering me up, "You did all you could, have faith the best decision will be made!"*And i'm not taking this process lightly, I worked my butt off to prepare for the application, Lord knows I did. I'm just trying to share some words of inspiration and comfort for everyone else who is on this crazy roller coaster ride. "Have faith that the best decision will be made!"*Special thanks to my friend, H.

Great post, Joie ... and just to add to that for everyone: I have always believed that what is meant to be will happen, and at the right time. Not getting into SBU this year does not automatically mean you will never get in, it might just mean that you will have to try again. OR perhaps you have to explore additional or other options. But go with your instinct at that point in time. I did not get in for the 2011 class, but I got in for 2012. In hindsight, it was for the best. Good things happened to me in 2010-2011 that I would not have experienced had I gone to school that year. My time @ SBU was supposed to be this year, and I am glad I re-applied because things just happened for me. And I am making the best of it now (and come to think of it, I can't imagine not having ever met some of my classmates!).

The fact that some rejections came through so much earlier than the rest makes me think about something. Now, I am just throwing this out there and this just came out of my head and comes from no other source. Perhaps those applications were in some way incomplete or failed to meet minimums? Given the number of applicants, there is bound to be at least one person in the pool that applied with a GPA under 2.8 (the minimum GPA per the website) or did not get a transcript in on time, etc ... and of course that would be an automatic rejection. Perhaps they are weeding out these incomplete or failed-to-meet-minimum applicants first to work with a smaller pile? Again, I am just playing devil's advocate here, not pointing fingers, and just speculating. Feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong, no matter to me. Perhaps the letters that come in the mail will specify whether something was amiss? I don't know, because I was never rejected outright (only after a waitlist and when class was full, so I do know what those letters looks like).

For the rest, hang in there ... clearly, decisions are rolling in soon :hug:

I came across this online and I thought it was good to share on here!

It was meant as a simile between how it "stinks" to wait on a decision that effects your life so importantly....and as a break from the worry everyone felt--it kinda worked, if not for a second!

Sometimes random thought is good.

Thanks Paco!!! :-):hug:

I too was rejected and I feel that our early rejection letters were kind of a slap in the face. I had all the credentials needed my gpa was a 3.55 (which isn't amazing but it's better than the 2.8 needed). A's in all of my pre reqs except for the B in chem. I applied last year as well.I reviewed my application as well as my essayabout 100 times and I had great LOR's.I know it's very competitive and I know there are more qualifyed applicants than me. But sending out rejection letters so long before acceptance letters I feel like my application got a "hell no" right away. It's a little discouraging.

When I went to the information session last year I was told by one of the advisors that my age could be a disadvantage, I actually even got the "What's the rush?"" when I mentioned I was seriously interested in the accelerated program over the 2 year. I'm not going to get 100% discouraged, I still have 5 other applications out (as well as the 2 year for SBU) and hope that someone sees the potentional in me that I think I have to successfully get my RN. I just was NOT prepared to get rejected this early haha. I wish I had more time to emotionally prepare myself for that! I hope everyone else is taking Paco's advice and continuing toward their dreams of becoming a nurse!

+ Add a Comment