USM ABSN Summer 2012

U.S.A. Maine

Published

Hi there!

I applied for the ABSN program beginning next summer at USM; did anyone else?

Is there anyone out there who is currently enrolled in the program? Are you enjoying it? I'm so curious to hear anything and everything. :)

Best of luck to everyone... Hoping to get to know some of you soon.

-Michelle

I didn't get in either. Congratulations to everyone who did! :)

I got my letter yesterday(12/7)... And I'm in! I'm really sorry to those who didn't get a favorable response. Good luck with your other applications. To those who were asking about admissions specifics: 3.82 gpa ten yrs ago, lots of real world exp. virtually none of it in health care, good solid essay, A's in A&P 1, Stat's, and Lifespan at time of app & finishing A&P 2 now. Looking forward to hearing from others also accepted for summer 2012! Good luck.

Specializes in Family Practice, Primary Care.

Sorry to those that didn't get in. I did the program May '08-Aug '09 (god seems so long ago now) and there were over 250 applications for our class of like 21 students. It's hard to get in, and all of us that have graduated have gone on to certifications, etc. so they have high standards for admissions because they want to produce the best nurses possible (which they do).

I'm in their NP program now and hopefully I'll be a clinical instructor some semester, so you may have me as an instructor! It's a great program. I worked as a CNA a couple months before I started and during nursing school which I would advise everyone to do. It is really good experience and you can build bedside skills and time management skills. The program isn't too bad; I remember hating some parts while doing it and feeling overwhelmed but now that I'm in grad school and working as an RN (and working 50+ hours a week) I really don't think it was that bad. Just do the readings, take notes, and reread chapters after the class to cement it in your brain.

greygooseuria -

thanks for the feedback on the program! I like to hear thoughts from those who have already completed the program.

Specializes in FNP.

denied....but at least i have an interview with UCSF, life isn't all that bad....I guess Maine isn't for me!

I got accepted, and am really excited to get started! It's going to be a long wait until May...

For those of you currently in the program or recent grads - what have you experienced about getting that first RN job? I keep hearing that hospitals don't want to hire RN's with less than a year experience. Is this reality? Is it easier to get a position in the hospitals you've done your clinicals in? Are there cities/states that have greater need? I'm currently weighing if the cost of the Accelerated Programs are going to be worth it if there are no jobs out there. Any advice is appreciated!

I've been accepted to USM and VCU - waiting to hear fro OHSU, but think that one will be a long shot. I'm not sure how to go about deciding between USM and VCU -- anyone have advice?

bunnynuts

I am a nurse and have several friends that have gone the ABSN route. The successful applicants commonly had work experience beyond student clinicals. It can be tough to stand out when you are one of a group of 4 or 5 students on a unit with a limited assignment. However, ABSN programs often include a clinical intensive, full time for 6 -8 weeks or more and sometimes that can lead to a job offer. New grad RNs with ongoing or previous experience as a CNA or other clinical role sometimes gain a "foot in door" that turns into an RN job offer. Google the HR departments of different hospitals and you will see that most want a year of RN experience. Search on this website for finding that first job.

Hi greygooseuria,

Do you have any thoughts on the ABSN program versus the MSN-Options program, in terms of the level of education and the caliber of students they turn out?

Thanks!

+ Add a Comment