University of Phoenix MSN Program

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

:welcome:

I would like to use this thread for all of us attending or having attended UofP.

I am going to begin classes in August of this year in the MSN/ED program.

I would love to hear from different people who are in different stages of the program and what they have liked and hated.

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT GONE THROUGH THE PROGRAM AND ONLY WANT TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT THE SCHOOL.

I hope other U of P alumni will get involved and help us with any sticky situations that arise and offer their wisdom.

Thanks,

I just finished it. For nurses who want to teach, forget it. It's a freaking business course...you have to develop a health care business, and make your own business plan. It was a nightmare, but I got through it and so did everyone else. It was only the 2nd class in a group of 6 that made me want to pull my hair out! Let us know how it goes! Good luck~

Nurse 79, my reply was for you~

i'm currently taking influencing the future of nursing and healthcare..does anyone have some good topics regarding controversial issues in healthcare ??

Thaks

It sounds like your class is slightly different regarding assignments. My team did a ppt on EBP (there was a group of topics to choose from) and I chose teen pregnancy for my paper. I have heard of classes being slightly different from each other as far as required work.

Has anyone taken HCS 571- Financial Resource Management.

This is my 6th or 7th class, it is a killer. I have no financial background, and we have to develop a business plan complete with all the financial stuff. My GPA is 4.0 to date, but to be honest, I will be happy to get a B in this class.

:banghead:

So Bryan, how did you do in the Financial class? I hated most every minute of it...although I did learn a few things (like I won't be going on for my MBA anytime soon~)

I got an A and happy for that! I am taking a 3 week break and then on to the community health class or whatever the title of that one is!

Specializes in ER, Corrections, LTC, ICU, Case Mgt.

I ended up with a B+ in this class, the lowest grade I have made so far at UoP, I missed A minus by 1 point. I don't ever want to take a class like that again. I really had trouble rapping my head around it. But my next two classes have been great. I have 5 classes left (March 2008).

Do you need a certain amount of nursing experience to apply to the UOP MSN program?

I think it is a requirement for accrediation unless you took similar BSN courses in a nursing program. I found the Bridge great preparation for the MSN especially nursing theory which other MSN student struggled with I had a much easier time. Ditto with Nursing research. If you are going to try to double courses, this would be the time to do it.

What are you referring to the bridge coursework? I'm confused. If you already have a BSN, there are courses you could appeal to not take?

Hi all fellow UOP students,

I started the MSN/Ed program last October. It's far more intense than I expected but I have found that, as in most worthwhile endeavors, you get back what you put into it.

Reading over the posts in this thread, I have to agree with TraumaRN's guidelines for team charters. I, like most students I've met on this journey, thought of the charter as a nuisance at the beginning. Then recently, I had a class where 2 of my learning teammates were absent most of the time, missed every deadline and then, just when we thought things were going to come together, turned in plagiarized work. Luckily, the three of us who actually took the program seriously were able to spot it and submitted it to writepoint and the instructor. I've heard horror stories about teams that didn't check their group work and all members suffered. It was an eye-opening experience that made me realize that setting up a detailed charter is more about protecting the team as a whole and the integrity of our work than it is about questioning people's honesty.

I've taken 6 classes so far and I've really gained a lot. I've been really lucky to meet several "keeper" classmates and we try to take as many classes together as possible (reducing the risks of teammate nightmares as described above). The academic counselors are pretty good about granting requests of this sort.

The flexibility of online education is so incredibly appealing. This is by no means an easy route, what with working, single momming and now, buying my first home and moving. But I am getting so much out of this program and already seeing new opportunities.

Although I registered for the MSN/Ed program, I am now interested in pursuing FNP as well. I haven't done any solid research yet but if anyone has some info about post grad certification programs that can be completed online, I'd appreciate a heads-up!

P.S. An earlier post asked about Vicki Milazzo and CLNC...I did it a couple of years ago and found it extremely worthwhile. However, the actual work was tedious and boring for the most part. I managed to hook up with a local attorney who fed me plenty of work but we had a parting of the ways when he was defending a drunk driver and I simply couldn't, ethically, help. Just a personal note there.

what have you found in your research regarding post grad certificate programs for your FNP???

I'm interested in getting my MSN, but leaning towards FNP or WHNP or midwifery, most interested in midwifery, but the clinicals (regardless if you do it online or not) take about 6 mos to a year and you really can't work (at least not enough to support yourself) so not only do you have no income, you're paying tuition.

So I was curious how other schools looked at UofP to get your post grad certificate.

Do you need a certain amount of nursing experience to apply to the UOP MSN program?

It is my understanding (I just talked to an admissions counselor today) that 3 years full-time of post-high school work experience in healthcare is required, with the last year being as an RN.

What are you referring to the bridge coursework? I'm confused. If you already have a BSN, there are courses you could appeal to not take?

I had a BS in health care adm, therefore no BSN course. Alex

I had a BS in health care adm, therefore no BSN course. Alex

ahh, thanks for explaining...

Can anyone explain the difference between: MSN/health care edu

and MSN/integrative health care ?? at UofP

The descriptions on the website were the same

WEll, I think I"m going to do it. UofP is seeming more and more like an option for me. It's exactly what I was looking for in wanting to take classes online, one class at a time, at my OWN pace, they seem very organized.

Has anyone done the MSN/Nursing Education track? I'm most leary of the practicum, trying to get all that together at my job, it seems like it wouldn't be too bad, but I want to know the down and dirty nitty gritty of what it's really like. My advisor didn't really know the details of course.

thanks for all the helpful answers in this thread.

+ Add a Comment