What's the weirdest baby name?

Specialties Ob/Gyn Nursing Q/A

Hi, I was wondering about some of those weird names that you've probably encountered in L&D and PP. I remember when I had my maternity rotation a couple of weeks ago, one of the nurses said she remembers a patient that named her child Placenta. I couldn't believe it that some child has to live his life named after disgusting afterbirth!

When I was a student nurse on my community placement we went to see a new mum who's surname was Scumptious, They called their child Trudy.

Trudy Scumptious.

I think you win. You can't make that up.

My first job out of pharmacy school was at a mail order facility, and I once filled a prescription for Caverject, prescribed by a urologist named Dr. Wiener. No, I'm not kidding.

Google "Caverject" if you don't know what it is. There was a pharmacist who was almost totally bald even though he was barely 40, and his head would turn red every time he heard that word. He had a desk job there, and people would walk by his desk and say "Caverject" just to watch his head turn red. It never stopped being funny.

As a longtime R.E.M. fan, I also thought the prescription written by William Barry, M.D. of Athens, Georgia was a hoot too. I realize the surname isn't spelled the same as the drummer emeritus', but I'm sure he's heard it all. (You know, "When are you going to rejoin the band?")

Dr. Barry is a dermatologist.

Specializes in High Risk In Patient OB/GYN.
I know an attorney with the last name of FINK:smokin:

Hehehe...I worked for Dr. Fink for a few years. He and his wife (also Dr. Fink) taught at the DO school.

I now also work with a new doctor (1st year resident)....Doctor. Thats his name. He's Doctor Doctor. Yeah....One more thing to love about July! :uhoh3:

Specializes in ER, Tele, L&D. ICU.

Call me crazy, but I think it is the child's personality that makes them unique not some crazy name that they have to keep correcting the spelling or pronunciation on. A study was done a while back at BU about "unique" names and apparently they found a lot of these kids received negative attention because of their names. From teachers, friends, etc.

JMO of course.

But, in keeping with the feel of the thread, my patient named her daughter Hadababe. Okay.

How about Siggy Blue? Might be cute if the kid were normal, but she suffered anoxia and has a low I.Q. and deslexia.:(

I went to high school with:

Miracle Biesecker and her sister Treasure Biesecker who happens to be a L&D RN.

Jackie Jenny and her cousin Jennifer Jenny, who went by Jenny Jenny.

Have a very merry:

Chrissy Moss

Chris Maslanka

Here are my contributions

I know 2 Samuel Adams (2nd parents didn't even know it was a beer)

Mazy Grace (Amazing Grace)

Crystal Balls

Karl Karl Karl - first middle last, poor guy

Marty Gras

Rusty Pipe

and my favorite by far

Mom was named Spice, 1st daughter Sugar cute Sugar and Spice right? yeah the 2nd daughter was Sweet Candy KK :icon_roll

I have heard a few good ones..

we had twins a few years ago. Orangejello,(orangello) and Yellowjello(ya-longello) of course it spelled orange and yellow jello..

spatula, and the proud dad that named their sun "captain America"

I haven't read anywhere close to this whole thread yet, but something worries me about it: I wonder what it would be like to have the child whose name is posted here as a joke (or, the parents who named that child) see that message? Certainly the parents could have avoided the teasing by choosing another name, but what about the child?

I realize a name itself isn't confidential (hey, they were born, right? no secrets violated there) but I'd hate to have them see the mocking in print this way. Just my humble opinion.

Specializes in High Risk In Patient OB/GYN.
I have heard a few good ones..

we had twins a few years ago. Orangejello,(orangello) and Yellowjello(ya-longello) of course it spelled orange and yellow jello..

ha. ha. ha. Yeah, right.

:trout:

And maybe we shouldn't be using peoples last names without their consent?

Specializes in Medical-Surgical, Hemodialysis.
I haven't read anywhere close to this whole thread yet, but something worries me about it: I wonder what it would be like to have the child whose name is posted here as a joke (or, the parents who named that child) see that message? Certainly the parents could have avoided the teasing by choosing another name, but what about the child?

I realize a name itself isn't confidential (hey, they were born, right? no secrets violated there) but I'd hate to have them see the mocking in print this way. Just my humble opinion.

Both of my children have unique names in fact I did a search on each of their names and they were somewhere in one of the weird/unique name posts. I myself have a unique name and I didn't meet anyone with the same first name until I was 30. Children will be teased about something during their lifetime whether it be their name, their hair, their clothes, the shape of their eyes (this happened to me), etc.

I thoroughly enjoy reading these posts, so keep them coming.

Oh and in case your wondering no I don't have the jello kids! :lol2:

How about this for names ill fitted for their chosen profession. The first vet I ever used was Dr. Paine. When I had to put my cat to sleep I also used another vet named Dr. Payne. Painful!

+ Add a Comment