Jump to content

Should I quit?

Disasters   (1,683 Views | 21 Replies)

18,915 Profile Views; 1,886 Posts

I am thinking of giving up.

Not nursing- I like nursing. Covid isn't going to make me quit. I have retooled my life to fight. Staying fit, commuting in a vehicle I can camp in with extra scrubs, strict systems to keep it out of the house......... You guys know the drill.

I am trying to motivate nurses on this forum to take action on an issue there seems to be a consensus on- pay for nurses who contract Covid 19. But, I am thinking of giving that up.

I did something really cool. And I was hoping to show folks here that there is something they can do about an issue everybody seems quite happy to vent and be indignant about.

I got a corporation with three hospitals to revert it's position on sick pay for Covid infect employees. It got a big crew back pay, and will help many in the future. Link below.

Wuzzie posted it. I was psyched, and hoped it would stimulate folks to do something other than express outrage here, in a spot where everybody already agrees.

I am pushing this in a few ways, including contacting both of my senators, my congressional representative, and all three networks. So- should I give up here, or is there some other, more productive way to use this forum?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Anything I could do differently that would motivate nurses to speak up?

Personally, I am all set. Financially stable, wife still working, and now I am covered, at least for two weeks. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dinah77 has 8 years experience as a ADN and specializes in Tele, OB, public health.

1 Article; 530 Posts; 20,274 Profile Views

I think there is a mentality shift that needs to happen in nursing before more of us start to stand up for ourselves and demand better working conditions.

Just look at all the responses on here from the martyr types who are pushing that harmful "you signed up for this you should be willing to die for you patients" mentality

as long as that persists, why would we demand better for ourselves? I'm a angel-martyr-healer- please, fetch me my cross

Sincerely though, it's incredibly frustrating- I'm not an angel, I'm a highly educated highly-skilled professional who is compassionate, works hard, and expects good pay and protection in return.

I really do think that is the biggest stumbling block for our profession- martyrs are supposed to suffer first, and LIKE IT 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,886 Posts; 18,915 Profile Views

Well, they don't seem to like it. They vent about it. And accept it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dinah77 has 8 years experience as a ADN and specializes in Tele, OB, public health.

1 Article; 530 Posts; 20,274 Profile Views

2 hours ago, hherrn said:

Well, they don't seem to like it. They vent about it. And accept it.

Nobody should accept it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

theoneandonly has 4 years experience and specializes in RN.

16 Posts; 271 Profile Views

This pandemic is just warming up. We haven't hit peak levels yet. When we do reach peak levels, around late April and mid may, I predict a mass exodus of HCW's from hospitals, nursing homes, and so on. You already here stories on the news about nurses quitting b/c of a lack of PPE or refusing to work b/c of short staffing or both, or getting fired or suspended for speaking out about the unsafe working conditions. Again, we are just in the beginning of all this chaos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,886 Posts; 18,915 Profile Views

Back to my question-

What would it take to motivate people on this forum to take action?

I don't even mean to put their own butts on the line. I mean to put as much energy into actually doing something about it as they put into talking and venting about it.

What if 1000 nurses spent 1 hour each writing public officials, contacting local papers, and talking to donors?

If there is one thing this forum demonstrates it's that people have plenty of keyboard time right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 Posts; 1,818 Profile Views

I completely agree w/ you and was also disheartened to see the original post you're talking about garner approximately zero response.

It's all about marketing. Sad but true. Make the title of the post sexy like you did on this one. Drama is click bait. I don't have a suggestion because I can't think of an exciting way to put - "Shocker - You actually deserve to be paid if you contract COVID-19 while working bedside".

Maybe "Management are scumbags that will screw you in every way you let them so don't let them"?

Seriously though - make a change.org petition for this issue and post links to it here every day. If it's easy to sign the petition people might do it. If it gets enough signatures, send an explanation email and link to the petition to various media outlets. Hopefully, we'll see you on the news soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 Followers; 37,681 Posts; 103,076 Profile Views

When I was brand new to nursing and still in the process of getting my rose colored glasses shattered, I distinctly remember being perplexed when the veteran nurse who complained strongly about certain things in the workplace kept her lips zipped at a meeting held by our DON to elicit complaints and suggestions to resolve issues. Not one word came out of her mouth. When forced layoffs occurred soon after, not surprising that she was not downsized out, in spite of her poor opinion of the place. After that I avoided her complaining. After the critical opinions and actions, no doubt those who made those complaints and “did what they had to do” will be near the front of the line to get everything positive to be had. That seems to be part of the way of the world. I think very very few would be willing to help with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 Posts; 1,818 Profile Views

7 minutes ago, caliotter3 said:

no doubt those who made those complaints and “did what they had to do” will be near the front of the line to get everything positive to be had.

Yep. I'm in management, trust me when I say that management cares inasmuch as it doesn't affect their extra slice of the pie.

Advocating for something that would cost their organization serious money could definitely alter the trajectory of their career. This holds true for bedside nurses as well.

To be clear, this is true in all BUSINESSES. Healthcare is a business in America. Even the "non-profits" top people are making millions a year. Again, healthcare is a business like any other in America. This should not surprise anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,886 Posts; 18,915 Profile Views

2 hours ago, eerrmm said:

Yep. I'm in management, trust me when I say that management cares inasmuch as it doesn't affect their extra slice of the pie.

Advocating for something that would cost their organization serious money could definitely alter the trajectory of their career. This holds true for bedside nurses as well.

To be clear, this is true in all BUSINESSES. Healthcare is a business in America. Even the "non-profits" top people are making millions a year. Again, healthcare is a business like any other in America. This should not surprise anyone.

Yup. There goes my corner office. On the bright side, I actually hit the apex of my career when I graduated and was hired as a staff nurse in ER.

But- this can be dome anonymously. The reporter I dealt with did not require an attributed quote, but told me the story would be far more effective.

Contacting politicians won't get back to admin.

And, I really think donors would be an awesome source of help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1,886 Posts; 18,915 Profile Views

2 hours ago, eerrmm said:

I completely agree w/ you and was also disheartened to see the original post you're talking about garner approximately zero response.

It's all about marketing. Sad but true. Make the title of the post sexy like you did on this one. Drama is click bait. I don't have a suggestion because I can't think of an exciting way to put - "Shocker - You actually deserve to be paid if you contract COVID-19 while working bedside".

Maybe "Management are scumbags that will screw you in every way you let them so don't let them"?

Seriously though - make a change.org petition for this issue and post links to it here every day. If it's easy to sign the petition people might do it. If it gets enough signatures, send an explanation email and link to the petition to various media outlets. Hopefully, we'll see you on the news soon.

For titles, I thought of:

Covid forced me into abstinence

My boyfriend left me for a non-covid nurse.

Safe sex in the age of Covid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

77 Posts; 1,818 Profile Views

1 hour ago, hherrn said:

Contacting politicians won't get back to admin.

Probably not but if it's local politicians and enough nurses contacted them it, it might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.